Painting my illustration in such colors

Hello,

How can I imagine in my mind for lighting my image in such color?

thanks,

All it takes is a fair amount of artistic skill and observation of lighting angles. I don’t have a “how to” as I’m not sure exactly what your question is. What software? for instance.

1 Like

I do not mean any specific software, for instance, Photoshop, krita, or even acrylic.
What I mean is, how do I imagine the image in my mind after drawing the image for this kind of lighting?

You need to be able to visualize in your mind how the lighting angle of your primary light source is going to strike all the objects in your scene. Lighting angle works like perspective. It comes from a single point (we won’t get into secondary or reflective sources.) You also have to take into account the time of day and even the weather conditions.

Your top image would be considered Full Daylight with the sun behind the viewer at a high angle, casting virtually no shadows.

Your bottom image is early morning or early evening, with the sun at a very low angle in front of and to the right of the viewer, maybe even just topping the horizon, and casting long shadows.

2 Likes

It was a good tip, but see the picture below. The lights that fall on the objects are orange.
Why is that? Is it because of sunset or sunrise? Is it because of sunset or sunrise?
Or the painter to impress the viewer and make his image more beautiful?

It takes initial talent honed by many years of practice.

When I was in art school, this painting by Franz Marc was often used as an example of how realistic colors are not necessary unless, of course, the artist is aiming for realism. Far more important are values and chiaroscuro (values being relative degrees of lightness and darkness; chiaroscuro is the modeling of the objects using shadow to create the illusion of three-dimensional space).

Again, seeing these things in one’s mind takes many years of practice.

1 Like

Sometimes early morning or early evening are refered to as “The Golden Hour” where the light is soft and warm (yellow.) But morning light can be stark and cold (blue) too, if say, it’s the middle of winter. It’s a choice having to do with the mood of the painting. As B said, it does take skill and lot of observation in real life. Go outside at various times of day and see how the light makes the scene.

1 Like

Here are two AI generated images with low angle light. Both have light shining from “the west” but one would be early evening in autumn (warmer yellows) and the other early evening in winter (cooler blues.)
(BTW, Do NOT trust AI to get the lighting angles right. I had to generate about 30 images to get these two with Adobe Firefly.)
warm

cool
Go Outside. Use your eyes.

1 Like

The top image, according to the shade on the right side indicates light source coming from the left.

The second image could be either sunrise or sunset. The principal here is that sunrise and sunset always present the same colors and shade.

1 Like