Paper Cup Artwork

I have received a key line (similar to the one below) from a client for a paper cup. When my artwork is created, I use the “Warp > Arc” filter in Illustrator to bend the artwork into the shape. However, without a prototype, I cannot figure out whether my un-warped artwork is the correct dimension before I apply the arc curve. So, as a result, I’m not sure will the printed artwork look distorted when it’s completed.

I have tried reversing the arc on the original key line to try and determine the correct (flat) artwork size. Is there another way of figuring this out?

1 Like

I’m not quite sure what teh problem is here. Use the keyline file as a template layer under (or over) your artwork file and design to the template. That’s what they’re for.
?

This shouldn’t be necessary if you just design to the template, but if knowing the flat/square dimensions helps, they’re easy to calculate.

Height = A
Width = B + C / 2

1 Like

Maybe it matters…

Width = (B + C) / 2

And, in case it’s not obvious, the premise I diagrammed excludes the bleeds. Don’t forget about 'em.

Won’t the left and right form the seam?

I’d aim at the center, and 70% height for placement.

70% is optical center.

Thanks for the replies. What I did eventually was made a rectangle using ‘A’ height. Then I ‘arced’ the artwork by 20º and adjusted the width of the rectangle until it fitted the key line. Then to create flat artwork, I removed the arc (warp) from the rectangle and when artwork was done reapplied the 20º arc.