Personal Brand Name Inquiry

I have been tasked with creating a brand name that I will work with. I am a Graphic Design student, in college. I have narrowed down to a few but have a few nagging issues. Do I have to include my name or initials in my personal brand name? One name I have narrowed down to is “GANI”, a Swahili word meaning ‘which’. So should it be; GANI Graphic Design, Simply GANI, or what should I add on to the name I settle on? Does it have to pass a message?

I don’t think it needs to convey a direct message, but it should be meaningful to your potential audience in a way that resonates with or piques their curiosity in a positive and beneficial way. It doesn’t necessarily need to be clever, but it should help instill a sense of confidence while assuring them that you’re the right person to hire.

As for including your name or initials, I don’t think that’s necessary unless your instructor thinks it’s needed. Cultural and legal considerations might also need to be addressed depending on your location.

Sometimes it helps with feedback on this forum to mention where you’re from. It helps provide context for the responses. I’m assuming your potential audience speaks Swahili and would recognize some relationship between GANI and graphic design.

I am from Nairobi, Kenya though I don’t really want to restrict myself to my home audience.

I’m doing a self branding project right now as well. From my understanding you should have something that represents yourself, what you want employers and audience to see in you, and your design. So that would be completely up to you.

When my class started the self-identity project we were provided surveys so self-assess our strengths and weaknesses, how we see ourselves, how we want others to perceive us. It was kinda more like one of those know yourself spiritual things. Then did surveys of the opinions of classmates, friends and family to find out how they see our strengths and weaknesses. The one my prof gave me was called the personal brand workbook that can be found here:

After we were done all this we hit the brainstorming and the design process like usual till we came up with a brand/logo

Hope this helps, good luck!

1 Like

My first sketches…

For the logo, does it have a future?

For me it conveys geometric, technological, clean, and stability I would say. If thats what you were going for.

My issues with it would be that it looks more like a V then a K. I don’t quite understand what you were going for but hey a can be abstract. I personally wouldn’t spell creative like that but its your own personal logo.

Usually the first sketch is never your best idea, so I would look to do a few more iteration before you decide on it. Get those creative instincts flowing.

Since your name is KAKI have you thought about a logo thats more like:

KA
KI

in a square? or playing with the idea of using the K in a more creative typographic logo fashion? The K is obviously very apparent in your name and using it well would make your brand/logo more memorable.

Kaki-Kreativ-Logo

Thanks for all your previous feedback, what’s the say on this initial screenwork?

Kaki-Kreativ-Logo-2

Kaki-Kreativ-Logo-4

Kaki! It turned out great! It is visually appealing.

Thtat’s great very effective and attractive!!