PNGs and signage

You can do almost whatever you want (within reason) with digital signage - which I take to mean electronic LED or digital ink ‘video’ displays/billboards, where Targa format is a viable thing.
The OP was asking about printed/fabricated signage and low resolution raster files in png format for large format signage. That, and Targa, would be a very bad idea in that instance.

1 Like

Yes, PNGs are raster-based, In professional print design, vector based formats like PDF or EPS are preferred for crispness and scalability. However given the constraints, using a high resolution PNG at its native size or slightly smaller for that you can use online application such as JpegCompressor it can help to mitigate blurriness.

All those rez-up engines, even the ones that are AI enabled, don’t always do a good job.
Garbage In, Garbage Out.

And I sure as heck wouldn’t use something that Compresses JPGs to try to enlarge something. That’s not logical (or the product you’re selling is poorly named.)

1 Like

PNG’s, JPG’s and such are worthless if the dpi is too low.
Regardless of what type of signage, I always keep all components as vector and save as such for my own records.
Everything I send out to clients are raster proofs.
The printer will get the vector files once the job is approved.

TIFF, BMP, PSD, GIF, RAW, WEBp, EXr, PCX, TGA, DDS, HDR are worthless if the dpi is too low - too.

How do you do a vector of a photograph for a banner?

The original OP question involved a logo. Which should be kept vector. I think that’s what Danny D is referring to.

2 Likes

Yes I’m referring to logos, objects and such.
Photos are another issue…

1 Like