PPI question

I didn’t know exactly where to put this question so moderators please move it if need be. I have an image I am using as a cover photo for a facebook page. The pixel dimensions are 851x315 as facebook requests. When I export the file from illustrator as 72PPI it is blurry, when I export it as 300PPI it isn’t. Both files are exported as a PNG and are the same pixel dimensions. Can someone please explain this?

Thanks

Looks blurry where?
Are you sure your pixel dimensions are 851 x 315?

So when you make an image 300ppi - it will then be 3546x1313
As it increases the amount of pixels per inch.

How does it look on Facebook?

My advice would be to open the image in Photoshop - that is open the AI file in Photoshop
Then set the size to 851 x 315 @ 72 ppi

Then try that.

We could explain it if we knew more of what you’re doing. There’s no visual difference between an 851 x 315-pixel image at 72ppi or at a million ppi. It’s still the same image with the same number of pixels.

My best guess is that you’re resampling/interpolating the image at some point in whatever software you’re using and inadvertently adding or subtracting pixels — either that or introducing different levels of jpeg compression to the images before uploading them.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.