Pricing question about redesigning stuff

Hi there

I’ve got a massive problem and I hope so bade that some of you may could help me :grimacing:

A client wants me to redesign a magazine of his. An agency already did the design but he doesn’t likes it. So he wants me to do it better and asked about pricing…

I have absoluty no idea how to calculate the prices about time and working.
About the magazin: the pictures and texts are already given, he wants a redesign without rules, only the same font. It has around 10 sites…

How should I count the time I could have for this (plus all the inspiration time I need for the redesign) plus what’s a normal price for this?

I hope there is someone that can help me at least a bit.

Thanks in advance and see ya :slight_smile:

uh oh sorry for bad typo

I’m going to repost this thread:

It’s that same advice I’m sure most would give for this type of need as well.

For a magazine I will break it down into processes.

1. Typesetting: “$#” per page If the pages are already typed and I just need to flow the text, it’s relatively cheap, but I charge 10x as much for text that I have to type out myself.

2. Photo correction: Usually $5 per. (doesn’t include custom photography or front & back cover art.

3. Design services (layout): $# per page

4. Cover pages - standard Illustration and design service cost x2 (front and back)

5. Photographic Services - (whole other list dependent on equipment / product / models…)

6. Presentation Services

7. Peripherals

What do you normally charge for print layout? Charge them that minus imagery–unless you will need to create/purchase new imagery. Don’t feel like you have to undercharge because they paid full price to another designer who botched their vision.

At the same time, if this is a potential repeat client be reasonable with what you charge, so that they will come back to you with other projects. But just be sure that you communicate to them that future projects would be charged at your standard rate (if you have one).

In the end you have to eat food, pay rent, Adobe subscription, etc., make sure you can cover your costs plus squirrel a little away for the slower business seasons.

I’m confused by what you wrote, but it doesn’t really change my advice.

Estimate as best you can how many hours it will take you to finish the project, then multiply that by how much you’d like to make per hour. Then add a paragraph into the contract stating the number of revisions and how much you’ll charge per hour in addition for anything that extends beyond what’s specifically mentioned in the contract.

There’s no secret formula for this and no standard price. Every job of this sort is different and all you can really do is carefully think through the project, carefully define it to arrive at a cost estimate, and then carefully spell it out in the contract so that it doesn’t turn into a never-ending bunch of redos for which you don’t get paid.

Learning how to quote graphic design work is a critical aspect of the profession, and something that doesn’t come quickly or easily. As B said, there simply is no universal rate or formula, and every client is different too. You’ll get it wrong who-knows-how-many times before you can start getting right with any consistency. And ususlly, getting it wrong means you’ve cheated yourself, so you just have to grit your teeth and donate time for the sake of the success of the project in hope the positive outcome will lead to a longer-term relationship with that client. It’s very important to learn early on to avoid undervaluing your time and your work because it’s just far too easy to do so. Be confident . . . bring your expertise . . . deliver the goods . . . proove your worth . . . get paid.

I never charged anything. I’ve got a normal job, where I get the money at the end of the month. I am not a freelancer and never was. And I never learned about pricing all this stuff. Only thing I know: for a Business Card or a simple Logo I can charge about 250 upwards… Or the time when I did a redsign for my ex-boss, he said he saved up to 20’000 thanks to me. But is that normal?

The client already made it clear that I will have some other things to do for him afterwards.

I’m not afraid of giving a too high price, I’m afraid of giving a too low price, where he believes I have no idea…

I’m very sorry for my bad english. I hope you understand most of it…

And thank to all the other answers, I didn’t answered them yet, but I will re-read everything later and then reply to each of you :hugs: :hugs:

The Graphic Artists Guild Handbook of Pricing and Ethical Guidelines has a section on publication design that includes typical price ranges. The book also addresses a number of issues related to freelancing and contracts.