Printing brochure with paper choice

Hello, all the awesome graphic designer out there,

I have a question about printing brochures in 2 different text weight papers.
My boss hired this New York graphic design freelancer and I have been taking on her design vision and create other projects.

In her design direction, she had 120 text weight papers for 4-Panel Accordion Fold Brochure (front and back cover) and inside is using 70 lb paper.

I have never seen a 4-panel accordion fold brochure using 2 different types of paper.
I asked her for photos and she just answers me that she has created something like that for Alexander Wang.

Does anyone have seemed something like that?
Thank you so much for the help!!!

If there are two types of paper, they need to be affixed somehow. I’m imagining that one is “inside” the other. When you said this, it immediately made me think of the way many greeting cards are constructed, mostly for atheistic reasons. See example:

inside-the-card

I looked up “gate fold brochure” and came across this example. I’m imagining the blue would be one paper type and the white would be the other.

GateFoldBrochure-Mockup-11x8_5-v1

Are you sure it’s an accordion style fold?

Thank you so much, SurfPark.
It’s just frustrating when other designer isn’t giving you clear direction. When I already asked her “do you glue two papers together”?

Here is what she has for me.

Please let me know what you think.

What is your role in this project?

I have seen it done, Naturally, it requires bonding one stock to the other. What I’d suggest is that you find out who printed it and ask them how it was done and what they need from you to replicate it. Though, from your end, the artwork will be straightforward. It’s just a case of how you spec it.

Alternatively, speak to your own printer. They will have come across this before. Best way to learn is always from the horse’s mouth. Your printer would always prefer you expose gaps in your knowledge and learn (if not, find another printer) than wing it and make their job more difficult.

It cuts both ways. Why should you know everything about their job – and visa versa? My printer sometimes calls me if he has a query that’s not his area of expertise and is mine. Actually, he usually asks me just to do it!

Good luck with it.

Is the vellum two panels wide or four panels wide? If it is four panels wide, I would think that piece will be a challenge to fold.

It sort of sounds like you are taking another designer’s work. I’m not so sure they would be in the mood to share their methods with you. Not everyone is as open as this forum tends to be.

I’m getting this:

1. You’re on staff of this company
  2. This outside designer is doing a special project for this company

There has to be a contact/liaison with this designer, and I think he/she will have all the information that you need, perhaps a mock-up or two.

If not, I’d start to question the leadership (team) of your company.

Consulting a print vendor is always a good idea.

It will also be a challenge for the end user to refold. Maybe if I knew more about it, I’d see the logic in this design, but as it is, it just sounds awkward.

If there is an art director, let him/her make the decision. I do not see why it has to be cast in stone.

Thank you, Eriskay.
I am in-house designer and currently we have no art director and the boss who is managing everything right now has no idea about design or print.

The outside designer is trusted by manager since she used to work in New York and apparently has outstanding portfolio and has worked with fashion designer as art director.

My job is to take whatever she made and make sure go across other print pieces as well.

I am trying to make sure I know the detail of what this her vision.
How she wants to process it.

Despite the person apparently has a lot of experiences working in New York, it’s also my job to make sure everything makes sense. For example, this folded brochure is only 5cm wide and 7.2 cm tall.(Yet it use two kind of papers)

In my opinion, a luxury item’s brochure should be bigger to enhance the whole experience.
Thank you so much for the reply. I will find out who is our printer and ask them as well.

maybe?

http://gatorbride.com/diy-modern-accordion-fold-programs/

That is what I thought too. Especially the brochure is only 5cm wide and 7.2cm height. I asked her to make it bigger like business card size. She just said she needed to add .75" to the height of the box. IT would double the cost. But I kind of don’t understand, if it’s foam…shouldn’t be too hard right?
Unless she wants to align the box (on the left) to the brochure (on the right) together.

The hard part is also my boss is letting her creating the box, contacting the Chinese vendor. I have no idea how everything is made under her vision.

But if you have any thought about the material, please share!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I think it’s weird as well. It just feel it is not cost effective and yet it is only 5cm x 7.2cm.
This project drive me crazy. LOL

Thank you so much, PrintDriver. That is what I was guessing as well.
But I feel like it just doesn’t make sense when the brochure is only 5cm x 7.2 cm…
Yet I asked her to make it bigger and she said it will increase the cost of the box.
But then I think it’s overkill to spend this much energy on a tiny brochure on a luxury item.
But hey, maybe it’s the trend now in New York…I am not sure lol.
Having tiny brochure is effective?

Sorry to hear that. I think you’re screwed, unless you’re willing to take on the function of art directing. Since you came into this project half-way, make sure your boss have you properly briefed. Ask a lot of questions since you will be handling the collaterals.

Good luck.

The image PrintDriver posted seems like a viable option. The one thing I’d question with this approach, however, is printing copy on both sides of the vellum. You’d want to make sure the vellum was opaque enough that type on the back won’t interfere with the legibility of the type on the front.

Please do post the finished piece or explanation once you figure this out. I think we’re all curious.

If increasing the size of the box messes up the printer’s yield out of a sheet of foam I could easily see it doubling the cost.
I’m not sure why some designers don’t understand they have to pay for the whole sheet if they design something where the yield is, say, 1 per sheet instead of the normal 4 per sheet.

1 Like