Problems with RGB to CMYK conversion

Hello. I was wondering if someone could help me. I’m trying to convert the attached image from RGB to CMYK, but I get some major color shifting, mainly the body of the angel turning into a gray to white gradient. I’m sure it has something to do with layer effects, but I’ve messed around with this for over an hour and I’m completely stumped. Any ideas on how to make this work for print use?

Is the original in PS or AI?

Sorry. It’s in AI

Someone else will likely have a more elegant solution, but I’d render it into Photoshop and convert it there – assuming you’re okay with it being a bitmap image. I’m guessing this is for a Christmas card or something Christmas related and that you’d be fine with a high res bitmap render.

Yea, that’s what I’ll probably end up doing. It’s just driving me crazy!

1 Like

Is there a spot color being used anywhere in the design? If so try converting that to CMYK then doing the conversion.

No spot colors. It’s strictly an RGB image. I don’t get it. I went ahead and rendered it in PS as CMYK and it turned out fine, but that Illustrator conversion to CMYK is bugging me.

Live blend modes just mix differently in CMYK than in RGB.

Yeh was just about to say.

Blend modes for RGB and CMYK have different results.

You need to flatten the blend modes out of the RGB so there’s no blend modes.
Then - convert to CMYK.

Aaah! That did it! I can’t believe I didn’t thin of that. Many, many thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.