Procrastination

Sometimes we do it for good reason, especially when the client assigns work while they are still indecisive about what they want. There are plenty of articles on line showing that a moderate amount of procrastination is good.

But I don’t need to sell anyone on “if” they should occasionally procrastinate. The question is: “when” you procrastinate, what to you typically do? I’m not asking about quality time deliberately set aside to enjoy yourself. I’m talking about things you didn’t plan to do and find yourself enjoying longer than you planned to enjoy it.

For me it’s getting sucked into blogging and the occasional video games. Sometimes, I delude myself in to believing that the blogging is necessary, especially when it’s political discourse. (Uh huh, sure it is. More like ranting.) I can’t say that video games are anything more than playing. But I only do it maybe 5-10 hours a month.

Why and how do you procrastinate. Do you play? Or are you on of those busy bees who procrastinate by doing other less important chores and running errands?

If i’m at home I’ll procrastinate by doing chores like dishes or vacuuming or even folding clothes (when I usually just leave them in a basket).

When I’m at work I’ll procrastinate by doing freelance work.

Strangely enough I’ve never missed a deadline.

1 Like

Do you enjoy it?

At the time I do. I feel like I’m accomplishing something that a well-rounded adult should be able to do on a regular basis

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

when i’m free i procrastinate by browsing designs on behance, pinterest or dribbble.
saving design work from various industries and creating boards is fun, it makes it easier for you to find inspiration later.
often you find inspiring work accidentally, which you are unable to find when you need it (even if you spend days searching). it’s nice to have this little treasure of inspiring work at your fingertips when you need it.
somethimes i procrastinate by drawing when i get hit by a flash of creative ideas. I always keep a notebook at my side. this happens always in the evening when all the images you browsed during the day mix up in your mind.
try it. browse some work for 30 minutes and close your eyes afterwards, it’s crazy what your mind can generate.
it’s difficult to transfer the images from your mind on paper, often they are blurry, or appear just for a second. haven’t found a solution regarding this.

1 Like