Prospecting potential clients as a freelancer

Hi guys,
My question is for any freelancers out there.

Due to COVID I lost my employment and now am focusing on freelancing.
I have compiled a list of potential clients to cold cold in hope to drum up some work.

Is cold calling an effective way to prospect new clients?
And if not what are the best ways to find clients?

Thanks in advance.

Cold calling is okk but register yourself on upwork and fiverr these are the best platforms for freelancers as you may find many potential clients there. Make an online portfolio and post your links on those platforms.

1 Like

Fiverr LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

1 Like

From personal experience, I think cold calling is a very effective sales method for designs – if it’s done right. It sounds like you’ve taken the first step in that you’ve identified a list of potential clients. Good for you. The next step is to get a contact name within each company so you know who to reach out to. Here’s the big thing – send the contact something ahead of time. Get creative with this. Make a poster and send it to them in a tube. Make a book and FedEx it to the person. (Side note: yes, FedEx is expensive, but if you have a highly targeted list and really want to stand out, FedEx is a great way to do so.) Bottom line is two fold. First, who isn’t going to open a package? Secondly, it get’s your name in front of the person before you call – so your cold call is more of a warm call. “Hi, this is Anthonyo. I sent you a work sample earlier this week, and I wanted to follow up…” Cold calling is not fun, and you’ll experience some rudeness but I’ve gotten several new clients over the years by calling people.

4 Likes

That’s great advice Steve_O! Thank you. I’ll definitely implement this process.

MOD NOTE :fire:

Let’s stop offering up logo mills and crowd sourcing sites as viable options.

4 Likes

I agree, I haven’t use Upwork any sites similar since I started designing several years ago. Redkittiekat do you have any suggestions that have worked for prospecting new clients?

1 Like

I can’t do any better than the advice Steve has given you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow - crowdsourcing sites offered as viable solution… absolutely not!
If you value your business and your work at a fiver - then you don’t value your own business.

1 Like