Question about layout design

Hi all!How can I design different layouts in magazine design?I have any background in typography composition basics,because I am multimedia student and I have forget these.How can I improve myself in typography and graphic design and editorial design?

Also,I have to add,that in university,I learnt,indesign

The only way is to learn how to use typography (don’t expect it to be a quick process - it takes years to master, if anyone ever does). There is no silver bullet. If you at university already, surely you are in the best place to ask questions.

1 Like

Publication design and typography were the focus of my master’s degree program. Since that time, I’ve worked as the design director for a newspaper and a couple of magazines, plus dozens of other similar contract projects.

With that background, it would seem as though I should have a good answer for your question, but I really don’t. For me, it was an initial interest that followed me through university and on through a career. I know of no shortcuts that don’t involve years of study and hard work.

If I understand your post correctly, you have already taken courses in the basics. Beyond that, the only way I know to get better at it is to practice and get constant feedback from others who are further along. How you would do that outside of a job or formal education program, I don’t know.

2 Likes

My take is that it involves:

– a lot of common sense

– a good knowledge of the rules of typography (sometimes for to know when to break them)

– some mathematical skills

– a good grasp of the language used in the publication

– project management skills

– oh yes … layout skills

1 Like

thank you all for you time!The logic behind opening account in this forum,is that I believe that reading other discussions,about graphic design I will enrich my knowledge.Recent times,I believe that due to covid disease,its a very good idea to enrich my knowledge online about graphic design.Also,dont forget that the best learning according to researches,is interactive learning through blogs,discussion forums e.t.c. All these,without to connote that if someone doesn’t exercise much in paper or in computer,he will make an amazing illustration :grin:

The best learning for Graphic Design is in live classrooms with live feedback on live projects.

Blog quality varies from total tyro to full professional. If you don’t know how to tell the difference because you don’t know the field, that could spell trouble for your education.

Even online tutorial courses range from bad to good.

Not sure what your last sentence is trying to say. Do you want to give it another go?

Oh yes, we put a single space after punctuations.

1 Like

I agree that,traditional interactive learning, in university classrooms, cant be replaced by internet in no way.But,I disagree in all the other opinions you expessed.A perfect illustration of some other colleagues in university,will not teach me anything,if I will not make meaningful connections about others’ illustrations.According to scientists learning depends on seeing and using concepts in different contexts and scenarios and relationships.Also,education is dualistic and bidirectional.So,a good graphic designer in my opinion,must put all of his/her effort to drawing and also must has a good professor in university.All these are basics for someone who wants to teach in university

Any way,I thank you all for your answers!

In a juried critique with others at your same learning level, that is very instructive and the whole point to in person learning for this field.

But as a student, you have no way to judge if what you see online is bad or good, and not all online content is “good” in a professional sense. I’ve seen tutorials on Lynda and on Adobe that show really cool techniques but totally ignore the output issues using them creates. I’ve been known to send emails to makers of bad content…:slight_smile:

Starting out this was the bible to me-- I know it’s old, but I believe the fundamentals are still applicable.
The Newspaper Designer’s Handbook 7th Edition by Tim Harrower

1 Like

It’s not that old. :wink:

I agree, though, it’s full of good, solid information and practices that transcend newspaper design and are applicable to almost any other kind of design.

Could be because mine is the 4th edition. :grimacing: