Questions: "How do you promote youself?"

Hello! I’m Sara Zandonai, a student in the Graphic Design course at the Fine Art Academy in Bologna (ITALY).

For my thesis project I’m researching new ways to communicate and to promote ourself in the creative field through Personal Branding. I ask you to answer this questions to help me analyze how designers promote themselves.

The answers received will be included in my thesis project as Case Studies.

I hope you can help me, thanks for your attention :slight_smile:

1. What’s your job? (graphic designer, illustrator, art director…)
  2. Do you have a personal logo?
  3. Do you think having a logo is important to comunicate who you are and to promote your job? Why?
  4. In your opinion can designers promote themself without a logo? How?
  5. Do you own a personal website and a domain?
  6. How important are these medium to promote your work? > personal website, word of mouth, business card, newsletter, instagram, facebook, linkedin, pinterest, behance, other…
  7. What do you publish online? (services, products, photo while you are working, graphic project, graphic articles…)
  8. What values, ideas, parts of yourself are you trying to convey to your audience? What is important to communicate with your personal brand?
  9. In few words, what is Personal Brand for you and why is it important?
  10. Do you think it is necessary for designers to always find new ways to promote themself? What makes you different from others?
  11. If you want, leave me your contact (website or social) > It’s very important for me to understand how you work on your personal brand :slight_smile:

Thanks for your time :slight_smile:

As the owner of a small business, I don’t do any personal branding. All of my activities which fall under the branding umbrella are for my company rather than me personally, so it would be difficult for me to answer your questions on personal branding.

That said, I would say that it is good practice for a designer that is looking for a full time job or looking to pick up freelance work to have a personal branding system in place. I don’t think it matters whether this is a full blown logo or simply one’s name typeset nicely and consistently (yes, I recognize we’re getting into semantics there). What I flat out do not like is when designer who is looking for a full time job brands themselves as a company or studio. If you run a small business, that’s fine; but if you are calling me trying to get me to hire you, don’t tell me you’re Acme Design Co., tell me you’re John Smith and you’re looking for a job.

2 Likes
  1. Produce good work.
  2. Mind your business well.
  3. Be ethical.
  4. Be fair but smart.
1 Like

Yes i agree with you. Thanks for sharing your point of view :slight_smile:

When I was in college (when dinosaurs roamed the Earth) we were told never to use what you are calling a personal brand on our resumes. To an employer, a brand/logo/whatever that might possibly signify that you have a business on the side might make said employer think that they won’t have your undivided attention when doing work for them. Moonlighting as a designer -while working as a designer- is fraught with conflict of interest in both directions.

1 Like

In my opinion, Logo is important Because it grabs attention, makes a strong first impression, is the foundation of your brand identity, is memorable, separates you from competition, fosters brand loyalty, and is expected by your audience.
I myself have been interested in crafts since childhood, I am very interested in crafting, art, and education too so I am building my own website with the aim of bringing people up-to-date information on homeschooling. You’ll find everything from DIY projects to recipes and everything in between on my blog.
I also build my blog through social networking sites because they are a means of connecting me to more people,

If you’re referring to what a logo can do for a company (even a solo company consisting of one person), yes, I agree with you.

If you’re referring to promoting oneself as an individual looking for a job, I wholeheartedly disagree with you. A personal logo can inadvertently come across as narcissistic, self-important, self-aggrandizing, and a bit silly.

Oh my answer is definitely referring to a company, an organization
And if it’s personal, I’ll talk about building my own brand. And I think our own brand includes many elements, not just logos.

For me, personal branding is how you present yourself, your skills, experience, and career goals to other professionals. And it’s important because it shows and represents who you are in people’s eyes.