Recipes — for those designers that love to eat too!

Originally posted by Ang

Super easy Frosty (from Wendy’s) Recipe:

Half gallon of chocolate milk (can use low fat)
can of condensed milk
tub of Cool Whip (keep frozen)

Blend all together and enjoy!

Don’t make the same mistake I did, KEEP COOL WHIP FROZEN! Otherwise you get a liquid, not a frothy frozen spoonable beverage! I had to re-freeze mine and it tasted the same, but wasn’t a real Frosty.

Also this yield makes A TON of Frosty goodness, next time I’ll halve it unless I plan on making it for bunch of people.

1 Like

Originally posted by Garricks

Shirred Eggs

1 serving

Ingredients

butter or non-stick spray
2 teaspoons milk, divided
2 eggs
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
pinch crumbled bacon
1 tablespoon grated cheese (I like colby jack)

Method

Preheat the oven to 375º F.

Butter the bottom and sides of a small ramekin, or coat with non-stick spray.

Put one teaspoon of milk in the bottom of the ramekin.

Crack the eggs into the ramekin.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Drizzle the remaining teaspoon of milk over the top.

Sprinkle the bacon bits over the eggs.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until the outside edges are firm but the middle still jiggles.

Sprinkle the cheese on top and return to the oven until melted, about 3 minutes.

Remove from the oven to a carrier plate, and allow to cool about 3 minutes. Serve.

Note: Add other items like chopped chives, diced mushrooms, etd., as you like.

1 Like

Originally posted by Typically

Kotopoulo Skorthato: Lemon Garlic Chicken (with Potatoes)

4 lbs chicken thighs, they were on sale
3 1/2 pounds of potatoes
juice from 3 lemons
2 teaspoons of salt
1 heaping tablespoon of oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons of pepper
10 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup of olive oil
1 cups of water

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 355°F (180°C).

Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Peel the potatoes and cut into quarters, lengthwise. Salt and pepper the chicken and potatoes. Transfer chicken to a roasting pan skin side down, and add potatoes, on and around the chicken. Add oregano, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice, distributing evenly across the pan. Add water and roast uncovered at 355°F (180°C) for a total of 1 hour and 40 minutes. Half way through (50 minutes), turn the chicken (skin side up now) and cook for 35 minutes then turn the oven up to 400 to crisp up the skin.
adapted from LINK

Fair warning this is EXTREMELY lemony, and heavy on the garlic. Feel free to cut back on both. Also the original recipe called for a whole chicken cut up, but chicken thighs were on sale. It makes the house smell insane so you will have people drooling for it to finish

1 Like

Churro Waffles

Have you ever eaten a churro before? Well if you haven’t…you have no idea what your missing out on! A churro is a golden rod of pure deliciousness twisted and rolled into lots and lots of sweet cinnamon and sugar right after it’s taken a crispy bath in steaming hot oil.

Ingredients

1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 eggs
2 cups of all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups warm milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3shakes of cinnamon plus

For the churro topping-
1 cup of white sugar
1/2 cup cinnamon
1/2 cup of melted butter

Directions

In a large bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar; set aside. Also at this time you can combine your churro topping and set it aside. Preheat waffle iron

2.In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the milk, butter and vanilla. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture; Next fold in three shakes of cinnamon beat until blended

1. At this time you can also melt your 1/2 cup of butter used to pour over waffles. Next generously spray your waffle iron with no stick cooking spray. Than ladle the batter into a preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden and crisp. Once fully cooked immediately pour melted butter on each side of the waffle and than dip each buttered side into your cinnamon/sugar churro mixture.

2. Devour immediately!.. I mean serve immediately, Enjoy!
    Oh and I drizzled my waffles with a little extra syrup at the end. Although this waffle is obviously sweet enough, those with a definite sweet tooth can give it a whirl! In the end though I thought they were perfecto without the dulce ( sweet) extras.

1 Like

Originally posted by Typically

Chocolate Coconut Cookies

Ingredients

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
3/4 cup sweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cover 2 sheet trays with parchment paper.

Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.

Add the butter and sugars to a large bowl and beat with an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the vanilla and egg and beat until incorporated. Add the flour mixture in increments, beating until well combined. Briefly beat in the coconut flakes, chocolate chips and pecans until mixed together.

Using your hands, roll the dough into walnut-size balls and drop 8 on a sheet tray, leaving 2 1/2 inches of space between them. Flatten them slightly. Bake 13 minutes. Let cool on the sheet tray 5 minutes.

1 Like

Philly Cheesesteak Rolls

recipe from puffpastry.com

I have not worked with puff pastry before. I wanted to give it a try and when visiting their website, found this interesting recipe. I have to say that I am impressed by their flaky texture and slightly buttery taste. I am not a huge fan of Philly Cheesesteak but found this sandwich version quite delicious!

Ingredients:
all purpose flour
1/2 of a 17.3 oz pkg. puff pastry sheets ( 1 sheet), thawed
1 tsp. olive oil
1 cup onion, sliced
1/4 of a 24 oz. pkg. frozen sandwich steak (4 portions) cut into thick strips
4 slices American cheese
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Sprinkle flour on a clean dry surface. Unfold the pastry sheet and roll into a 10 inch square. Then cut the square into 4 equal parts.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender. Remove to a plate and set aside.

Increase the heat to medium high. Add sandwich steak and cook for 3 minutes or until cooked through. Stir occasionally.

Spoon 1/4 of both the onion and sandwich steak on the bottom of each puff pastry. Top each with a slice of cheese. Fold 2 opposite sides over the filling. Roll jelly roll style. Brush with egg.

Place pastries on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until pastries are golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Cut each pastry diagonally before serving.

1 Like

Originally posted by kemingMatters

Cheddar Chive Chicken

This is one of my fav ways to make chicken breasts, prep is easy and only 5 to 10 mins. I don’t really follow recipes so these are approximations

4 Boneless Chicken Breasts

Wash
2 tbsp your fav kind of mustard
1 tbsp milk

Cheddar/Chive Coating
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup (or more) shredded cheddar
fresh chopped chives (as much as you like)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Mix Wash ingredients in a bowl.
Mix Cheddar/Chive Coating ingredients in another bowl.
Cover Chicken Breasts in the Wash, then roll/cover in Cheddar/Chive Coating. Place evenly spaced on a baking sheet.

Cook for approximately 30 mins or until cooked through.

Want a higher coating/chicken ratio try butterflying your chicken breasts, this will also shorten the cooking time.

For Canadian GDFr’s PC’s Russian style mustard is awesome for this, for everyone else oktoberfest mustard is comparable.

1 Like

Originally posted by garricks

Navy Bean Soup
Dillard’s Garden Room Restaurant

Ingredients
1 pound dried navy beans
1 large onion, peeled and diced
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 ribs celery, diced
1/2 pound diced ham
1 Tablespoon ham base (see note)
1 teaspoon chicken base (see note)
1/4 Cup brown sugar, loosely packed, or less to taste
1 Tablespoon A-1 steak sauce
1 pinch dried thyme
1 Cup canned diced tomatoes (1/2 of a 16-ounce can)
2 Tablespoons ketchup

Method
Pick over and rinse beans, discarding any stones or other debris. Place in stockpot. Add water to cover by at least 2 inches. Cover pot; let beans soak overnight.

Drain beans. Add 8 cups water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until beans are almost tender, about 1-1/4 hours.

Add onion, carrots, celery, ham, ham base, chicken base, brown sugar, steak sauce, thyme, tomatoes, and ketchup. Add more water if desired. Cook an additional 30 minutes or longer, stirring occasionally, until beans and vegetables reach desired texture.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Note: Ham base and chicken base are concentrated soup flavorings available at many supermarkets. Look in the soup aisle.

1 Like

Famous-Barr’s French Onion Soup
1980s version

Ingredients
1-1/4 pounds onions (I use plain yellow onions)
4 ounces butter, divided
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 Tablespoon paprika
1 bay leaf
1/2 Cup all-purpose flour
1 Cup white wine (optional)
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 quarts beef stock (preferably house-made)
Kitchen Bouquet for color

1 baguette, sliced into 1/2-inch rounds
Gruyere, shredded

Method
• Peel the onions and slice them 1/8 inch thick
• Sweat/sauté the onions on low heat, with one ounce of butter, for 2 hours in a large soup pot, stirring frequently
• Make a roux with the flour and 3 ounces of butter in a pan, stirring constantly until it’s a deep golden color
• Add the roux to the onions, along with the spices, and sauté for 10 minutes over medium heat
• Add the stock, stirring thoroughly to combine and mix in the roux, and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally
• Add Kitchen Bouquet to achieve a deep brown color
• Cool, and refrigerate over night

To serve
• Reheat soup until steaming, but without boiling. Meanwhile, toast the baguette rounds until browned and dry throughout
• Fill fireproof bowls with 8 ounces of soup and 2 or 3 baguette rounds, and top with about 1-1/2 ounces of shredded gruyere.
• Broil in the oven at 550º for five minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and browned.
• Serve

Notes
• Sweat the onions slowly over two hours. Don’t sauté them in 30 minutes or an hour. Low and slow
• Make a proper roux, none of that cornstarch nonsense. Cook it slowly too, until it’s a rich golden brown
• Refrigerate it overnight, no matter HOW difficult it is to wait. It makes a difference
• Use rounds sliced from a baguette, toasted through so they don’t get soggy. I like two or three thinner rounds per bowl
• Spend the money and use Gruyere. I tried Emmenthal, and it’s just not the same

1 Like

Originally posted by Red Kittie Kat

Crockpot French Onion Soup

Cook time: 6 Hr
Prep time: 10 Min
Serves: 8 bowls of soup

INGREDIENTS

• 6 md sweet onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 Tbsp butter, unsalted
  • 2 cans beef broth, 14 ounce
  • 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 tsp freshly cracked black pepper, or to taste
  • 8 slc french bread, 1 inch thick
  • 8 slc swiss or gruyere cheese
  • 1/4 c dry sherry, if desired

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large skillet, cook onions and garlic on low heat in hot butter for about 20 minutes and stir several times.
  2. Transfer onion mixture to a 5-quart crockpot. Add beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and 1 cup water. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
  3. Before serving soup, toast bread slices with cheese slice on top. (Broil for 3 minutes or until cheese is light brown and bubbly).
  4. Ladle soup into bowls and top with toast. Makes: 8 servings
1 Like

Italian Beef

Delicious Chicago-style Italian beef is so easy to make at home in the slow cooker. Serve with pepperoncini peppers on crusty sub rolls. The leftover sauce with bits of flavorful beef is also an excellent base for minestrone soup.

Ingredients
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
6 pounds Beef Rump Roast
1 Tablespoon Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
26 ounces, fluid Beef Stock
12 ounces, fluid Beer
2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
½ packages Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing Mix, 0.7 Ounce Packet
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
8 ounces, fluid Chopped Pepperoncini, Including Liquid
10 whole Good Quality Sub Rolls

Preparation Instructions
Heat olive oil in a large heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Season roast with Lawry’s Seasoned Salt and add it into the hot oil. Allow it to brown on all sides (doesn’t have to be cooked through—you just want it seared on all sides).

In the meantime, mix remaining ingredients in the crock of a large slow cooker. After browning meat, add it with the olive oil from the pan into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low or medium for 6-8 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.

Remove meat from the crock, but leave cooking stock in the slow cooker. Cool roast and shred it with a fork. Return shredded meat to the stock in the slow cooker and keep warm until serving.

Toast sub rolls in oven or using your desired method. Fill the toasted rolls with meat and serve with more pepperoncini and small bowls of stock for dipping, if desired. Toasting the rolls makes them hold up better to the delicious juices, but this is a wonderfully messy eating experience!

Note #1: Make this ahead of time and refrigerate for a 1-2 days before serving to enhance flavors. Reheat meat, toast buns and serve with more pepperoncini and stock for dipping, if desired.

Note #2: The rich, flavorful leftover stock and bits of beef can be turned into a big pot of minestrone soup by adding more stock, cooked pasta (short spaghetti pieces or macaroni), carrots, onions, potatoes, green beans, spinach, cannellini or red kidney beans and canned diced tomatoes along with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Heat to just a boil, reduce heat and simmer for a while to marry the flavors. Serve with hot, crusty rolls and additional Parmesan.

1 Like

Originally posted by BJMRamage

a Recipe I made the other day, slightly tweaked and adjusted on here:

Apple Cinnamon Cheesecake

Gingersnap Crust
2 C gingersnap cookie crumbs (14 oz pkg)
2 T brown sugar
pinch of salt
6 T unsalted butter; melted

Spiced Cheesecake Filling
4 (8 oz) pkgs cream cheese; room temperature
1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
4 large eggs; room temperature
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 ½ T pumpkin pie spice
1 T cinnamon
1 T vanilla extract

Apple Topping
1/4 C unsalted butter
2 T all-purpose flour
¾ C apple cider
1/4 C white sugar
1/4 C packed brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
½ t pure vanilla extract
Juice of ½ lemon
2 Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and sliced

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Tightly wrap a 9 inch springform pan in heavy duty foil.
Mix together the crust ingredients (gingersnap cookie crumbs, brown sugar, salt and melted butter) and press into the bottom of the pan and about 1 ½ inches up the sides. Bake for 7 minutes and cool completely on a wire rack.
Combine the cream cheese and sugar; mix until smooth (about 2 minutes). Add eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating each before adding the next. Scrape down the bowl in between each egg. Add heavy cream, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and vanilla; combine until smooth in texture.
Pour batter into prepared crust. Place pan into a larger pan and pour water into the larger pan.
Bake 45 to 55 minutes, the edges will appear to be set, but the center will still have some jiggle to it. At this point, close the oven door, turn the heat off, and let the cheesecake rest in the oven for at least one hour, but up to 3 hours. After the recommended cooling time has passed, carefully remove the cheesecake from the water bath and place on a cooling rack to cool completely. Once the cake is completely cooled, place it into the refrigerator for at least 5 hours.
Three hours before serving, prepare the apple topping.
Mix together the sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a small bowl. In another bowl, sprinkle apples with the juice of ½ lemon and toss.
Melt butter over medium heat; whisk in flour and stir for about one minute. Slowly whisk in the apple cider followed by the sugar and spice mixture made in the previous step.
Add in the apples and cook until slightly tender (about 5-7 minutes) stirring constantly. Once apples have reached a desired texture and the sauce has thickened, remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla extract. Allow apple topping to cool completely before topping the cheesecake. Arrange apples on cheesecake and chill for at least one hour.

super tasty! real easy.

1 Like

Originally posted by KitchWitch

Crock Pot White Chicken Chili

Ingredients
1-1/4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken (I just used chicken tenders)
2 (15 oz.) cans great northern beans or navy beans
1 (15 oz.) cans hominy or white corn
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 (4-1/2 oz.) can chopped green chiles
1 (10-3/4 oz.) can condensed cream of chicken soup
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
1/2-cup sour cream
Chopped green onions (optional)
Monterey jack cheese (optional)

Directions
Place chicken in a 4-quart crock pot.
Top with beans and corn.
In medium bowl, combine taco seasoning, chiles, condensed soup and broth. Pour over ingredients in crock pot.
Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Before serving, stir gently to break up chicken, then stir in the sour cream.
Serve topped with green onions and cheese, if desired.
I drained the beans and corn - the soups are plenty as far as liquid. I will probably also add some cheese when I add the sour cream, so it can melt and mix in. And put some on top, too. Heh, cheese is optional, yeah right.

I will be making rolls to go with it. I’m going to melt butter and add pepper, dried parsley, garlic powder, a little fresh chopped rosemary and brush that mix on top of each roll. Then sprinkle with grated Parmesan before baking.

I have another white chicken chili recipe, but it’s stove top and takes hours to make. I love that this one has five minutes prep time.

1 Like

Originally posted by Brie

15 bean soup is one of my faves!
1 (1 lb) bag regular 15 bean soup mix or 1 (1 lb) bag cajun 15 bean soup mix
1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 (15 -30 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed
3 stalks celery leaves, included chopped
2 -3 ham hocks or 1 ham bone, with meat still on it
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried rosemary (crush with fingertips before adding this releases the flavor)
1 teaspoon black pepper
salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 chicken bouillon cubes

Directions:

1 Wash the beans; put in large pot and cover with water. Bring to boil; stir and remove from heat. Cover and let sit 1 hour. After that hour, drain beans and set aside.

2 Add oil to pot. Sauté your ham hocks, onion, and celery until tender.

3 Next add garlic and sauté 2 minutes more.

4 Add your beans and cover with water (about 2 inches over top of beans).

5 Add tomatoes with the juice, parsley, rosemary, black pepper, bouillon cubes, and about 1 teaspoon of salt to start with.

6 Mix well. Bring to boil; stir, reduce heat cover and simmer for 2 to 21/2 hours or until all the sizes of the beans are tender.

7 Keep watching it and stirring it every once in a while. You may need to add more water; you want it to keep a consistency a little thicker than a soup.

8 Taste it after it cooks–you may need more salt or pepper.

9 During the last 15 minutes of cooking, add the flavor package that comes with the beans.

10 Serve by itself or over rice.

Read more at: http://www.food.com/recipe/15-bean-s...03?oc=linkback

Oh and regarding cornbread, I love it, but only southern style. No sugar and never sweet.

1 Like

Special Request: Companion Corn Bread

Yield: 24 servings

1 ½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened

1 1/3 cups sugar

2 teaspoons sea salt

4 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons baking soda

2 cups yellow cornmeal

6 large eggs

1 cup buttermilk

1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (see note)

2 tablespoons water

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 cake pan with cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl, combine butter, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cornmeal. With an electric mixer, combine at low speed for 1 minute and at medium speed for 2 minutes.

3. Add eggs and buttermilk, blend, scrape the sides of the bowl, then mix at low speed for 1 minute.

4. Add flour and water, mix at low speed for 1 minute. Scrape the sides of the bowl, mix at low speed for 1 minute.

5. Scrape evenly into cake pan and bake for 30-45 minutes until golden on top and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.

6. Serve Companion-style in wedges (cut corn bread into squares, then halve the squares diagonally) with a bowl of soup or a salad.

Notes: A half recipe fits an 8x8 baking pan.

Companion’s Corn Bread is made with low-gluten pastry flour, which is difficult to find so we substituted all-purpose flour, which makes excellent corn bread with a slightly coarser crumb. For a finer crumb, use a blend of all-purpose and cake flour.

Per serving: 240 calories; 13g fat; 8g saturated fat;75mg cholesterol; 4g protein; 28g carbohydrate; 12g sugar; 1g fiber; 388mg sodium; 40mg calcium

Recipe adapted for home kitchens by the Post-Dispatch

1 Like

I’m figuring the stove top recipe is from Lewis & Clark’s in St. Chuck:

Chicken Chilli

Yield: 8 servings (about 1 1/2 cups each)

2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
2 medium yellow onions, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground red (cayenne) pepper
2 (4-ounce) cans diced green chiles
3 (15- to 16-ounce) cans great northern beans, undrained
4 cups chicken stock or canned broth
20 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
Sour cream, for garnish
Diced jalapeños, for garnish

1. Place chicken in a large saucepan; add cold water to cover and bring to a simmer. Cook until no pink remains, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain; when cool enough to handle, cut into 1/2-inch cubes.

2. In a large soup pot, sauté onions in olive oil over medium heat until translucent, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, cloves, cumin, cayenne and green chiles. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Add chicken, beans and their liquid and chicken stock; bring to a boil.

3. Add 12 ounces (about 3 cups) of the cheese and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4. Serve in bowls topped with remaining cheese; pass sour cream and jalapeños on the side.

Per serving (about 1 1/2 cups): 560 calories; 28g fat; 15g saturated fat; 130mg cholesterol; 52g protein; 31g carbohydrate; 7g sugar; 9g fiber; 1,340mg sodium; 620mg calcium.

1 Like

I made a Jalapeño Popper Dip last night for the game…I will try to remember to find it and post, and or a photo of it. (actually, I can remember what I did)

Jalapeño Popper Dip

2, 8oz blocks Cream Cheese softened
1 Cup Mayo
1, 4oz Can of Green Chilies (I actually used 2 cans)
1, 4oz Can of Jalapeños
1/2 Cup shredded Mexican Cheese
1/2 Cup shredded Mozzarella

Panko Bread Crumbs
Parmesan Cheese
Cooking Spray

Mix the first grouping and put into a 9" pie plate/dish. I mixed in the dish and used a bit more cheese, so added in some more chilies and a tiny bit of Sour Cream. Mix the Panko and Parmesan and (use your judgement on how much you’ll need (I did) and spread this over the top of the dip. Spray the top with cooking oil spray and bake for 20-25 minutes (or until the top is golden brown) at 375 degrees.
I threw in some Jalapeños into the oven half way through to roast and then topped with dish with those. Eat with any type of crackers, pita chips, tortilla chips, celery, etc.

Enjoy.

1 Like

GARLIC PARMESAN ROASTED CAULIFLOWER

Garlic parmesan roasted cauliflower is an easy way to make flavorful vegetables that everyone will have everyone begging for seconds.

Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 6

INGREDIENTS
1 head cauliflower
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp grated parmesan
1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
1/2 bunch fresh parsley
to taste salt and pepper

INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Remove the outer leaves from the cauliflower. Cut the head in half and then into quarters. Cut the core off of each quarter and then break into bite sized florets (see photos). Rinse the florets well under running water.

In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, minced garlic, and 1/4 cup of grated parmesan. Mix to combine. Add the cauliflower florets and stir until they are well coated with the garlic cheese mixture.

Turn the coated florets out onto a baking sheet (covered with foil for easy clean up) and spread into a single layer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake in the 400 degree oven for 45 minutes, giving them a quick stir every 15 minutes. Before the final 15 minutes of cooking, sprinkle the last 2 Tbsp of parmesan over top.

While the cauliflower is roasting in the oven, rinse the parsley, shake dry and then roughly chop. Sprinkle the parsley over the cauliflower after it finishes roasting.

Source

1 Like

Originally posted by RKK

Extreme Jalapeno Popper Pie

2 Likes

Totally Awesome Autumnal Pancakes that will make your entire day better

Made a great breakfast this morning (posted to FB if some of you follow me) before church and when we came home the house still smelled incredible.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Pancakes.

ingredients:
CINNAMON FILLING:
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

CREAM CHEESE ICING:
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) salted butter
2 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

PANCAKES:
1 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup pure unsweetened pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
2 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice (see Tips below)
1/2/ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar

directions:

1. Prepare the cinnamon filling: In a small bowl- mix butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Whisk the filling ingredients together and then pour it into a sandwich-sized zip baggie. Zip up the baggie and lay it on the counter while you prepare the pancake batter.

2. Prepare the Icing: In a medium microwave-safe bowl, heat butter and cream cheese 30 to 60 seconds, just until butter has melted and cream cheese has softened. Whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla and combine until smooth. Set the icing aside.

3. Prepare the pancake batter: In a large bowl, whisk together milk, pumpkin, eggs, oil, and vinegar. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, salt and brown sugar. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and stir just until all is moistened.

4. Check on your cinnamon filling: Open up the baggie again and give it a good stir to re-incorporate any butter that may have separated. You want the mixture to thicken a bit- it’s best when it’s similar to the squeezing texture of toothpaste (which will eventually happen if you leave it on the counter long enough, but refrigerate for a few minutes if you need to). Don’t try to use the filling for the pancake swirl unless it has thickened as it will be too runny! Snip off a small piece of the corner of the baggie.

5. Cook the pancakes: Preheat a large skillet or griddle to medium, and spray it with nonstick spray. Use an ice cream scoop (or ladle) to add the batter to the pan. Use the bottom of the scoop or ladle to spread out the batter into a nice, even circle. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Pick up your cinnamon filling baggie and squeeze the filling into the corner. Starting at the center of the pancake squeeze the cinnamon filling on top of the pancake batter in a swirl (just as you see in a cinnamon roll). Cook the pancakes 3 to 4 minutes, or until bubbles begin popping on top of the pancake and it is golden brown on the bottom. Slide a thin spatula underneath the pancake and gently but quickly flip it over. Cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes, until the other side is golden as well. When you flip the pancake onto a plate, you will see that the cinnamon filling has created a crater-swirl of cinnamon. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel, and repeat with the remaining pancake batter and cinnamon filling. Serve pancakes topped with a drizzle of cream cheese icing.

tips:
*If you do not have pumpkin pie spice, use this combo of spices instead: 1 teaspoon allspice, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

some of the changes I made was I needed to refrigerate the cinnamon bag to get it somewhat thick. Also I let the pancake batter set up some before applying the ring of cinnamon…otherwise the butter melted to much and made a huge mess. Also, the Icing wasn’t the greatest and I needed to use more 10x Sugar. Overall, incredibly good. I had a panini press/griddle and used one side for the pancake side and one for the flip to keep all the brown sugar mess to a minimum.

1 Like