Recipes — for those designers that love to eat too!

Originally posted by KitchWitch

Bacon-and-Crumb-Topped Plum Crisp

Ingredients
2-4 Tablespoons granulated sugar
1-Tablespoon all-purpose flour
5 cups sliced, pitted plums
1/3-cup quick-cooking or regular oats
1/3-cup packed brown sugar
2-Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4-teaspoon ground spice, such as nutmeg,ginger or ground cinnamon
3-Tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
3 slices bacon, crisp cooked and finely chopped
Vanilla ice cream (optional)

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl combine granulated sugar and 1 Tablespoon flour. Stir in fruit. Divide fruit among six 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins. Place custard cups on a 15x10x1-inch baking pan.

For topping, in a small bowl combine oats, brown sugar, 2 Tablespoons flour and spice. Stir in oil until topping resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in bacon. Evenly sprinkle over fruit in cups.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, just until fruit is tender and topping is crisp and golden brown. Serve warm with ice cream for dessert or without ice cream for breakfast.

1 Like

Originally posted by Typically

Buda talked about deviled sausages in the lunch thread, or somewhere so i tried out a recipe i found. it came out AWESOME! served it over some mashed potatoes and there weren’t any leftovers.

my starting point http://allrecipes.com/recipe/83235/deviled-sausages/

i added a sliced onion when i was browning the sausages, also added a bit more soy sauce.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 med/small onion halved and sliced
1 pound sausages
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon mustard
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon brown sugar

Directions

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook sausages and onions, about 15 minutes, until well browned and cooked through.
Drain fat, and return skillet and sausages and onions to medium heat. Stir in water, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, cayenne, tomato paste, and brown sugar. Bring contents to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.

next time i make this i’m going to sub 1/2 the water for either beer, red wine, or some sort of broth. the addition of bell peppers and mushrooms might also need to happen

1 Like

Originally posted by Red Kittie Kat

CHORIZO STUFFED BACON WRAPPED DATES

4 ounces Mexican style chorizo, removed from the casing
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons finely diced pickled jalapeño
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
14 strips thick cup bacon, cut into three even pieces
40 pitted dates
Heat the oven to 350 F and place a wire cooling rack on a foil lined baking sheet. Spray the rack with non-stick cooking spray.

In a small pot over medium heat cook the chorizo until slightly darker in color, about 5 minutes. Drain off the excess fat and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes.

Add the jalapeño and cayenne pepper and cook for 1 minute. Turn off the heat and add the cream cheese and shredded cheese. Stir well to mix. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Place the bacon pieces on a microwave save plate lined with paper towels. Cover with a sheet of paper towels and cook for 1 to 2 minutes on high, or until the bacon has released some fat and is partially cooked. Set aside to cool.

Place the cooled chorizo mixture into a piping bag fitted with a medium round or star tip. Pipe a teaspoon of filling into each of the dates, then wrap the dates in the par-cooked bacon. Place the stuffed dates on the prepared pan, seam side down. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Originally posted by Red Kittie Kat

Mexican Sweet Potato Skins

Ingredients:
3 medium sweet potatoes
1.5 cups corn (frozen corn is fine, just rinse or thaw and pat dry)
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
cilantro, as much or as little as you like
1 oz. cream cheese, softened (light is fine)
1/4 cup sour cream (light is fine)
1 to 3 chipotles in adobo, finely minced
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used a Mexican blend I had on hand)
What you’ll do:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake the sweet potatoes 45-60 minutes or until fork tender, the cooking time will depend on the size of your sweet potatoes so try and use 3 of a similar size. Remove from the oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.

Saute the corn in a heavy skillet not coated with anything (the recipe suggests cast iron, but I don’t have one yet) over medium high heat. Sprinkle with salt, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Cook until the corn is roasted and browned, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl; set aside.

To the skillet, add the canola oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add to the bowl with the corn; add the drained black beans and cilantro to the bowl and lightly mix to combine all ingredients.

When the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in half, lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the flesh, leaving about a small border around the edges on the skins, and place into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the cream cheese, sour cream, chipotle peppers, and salt to the mixing bowl with the sweet potatoes. Mash with a fork to your desired texture. Gently fold in the corn and black bean mixture.

Preheat the broiler. Fill each potato skin with the potato-corn-bean mixture, and top each with about 1.5 Tbsp. of cheese. Broil for 2 minutes, or until cheese is melted and hot. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro.
Source

1 Like

Originally posted by BJMRamage

These were awesome! My iPhone failed me somewhat on photos of these, I have some before but not after the cheese melted, so, linking the picture from the blog:

Baked, Cheesy Potatoes Fries

They are so easy to replicate…and this recipe is easy to alter- don’t be afraid to. These measurements will just get you started. No matter what cheese or spices you use DONT forget to add the sour cream/ranch sauce. It makes or breaks these fries. well, ok, the cheese is pretty important.

Fries:
4-6 Potatoes
1/4 cup olive oil
Sea Salt, Fresh ground pepper, your favorite seasoning salt

Sour Cream/Ranch Sauce:
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup ranch dressing
1/4 cup milk

Toppings:
1 cup (or as much as you like) Shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup real bacon bits
1/4 cup green onions

Cut potatoes into “steak french fries” size.

Place on foiled baking sheet.
Drizzle with olive oil and lightly toss with tongs.
Sprinkle salts and pepper over the potatoes.
Bake 400 for 40 minutes or until fork tender

in seperate bowl mix:
sour cream, Ranch dressing and milk.
Wisk Together

on a separate platter smooth out 3/4 of the sour cream sauce.
place hot potatoes on sour cream sauce.
drizzle remaining sour cream sauce on potatoes
Sprinkle toppings.

Place under broiler for a few seconds to re-melt cheese.
It’s going to be messy and delicious.

1 Like

I made these last year and got tons of compliments. They are SO good! Use a big bowl, 'cause by the end there’s a lot of stuff and I just ended up mixing it all up with my hands. It made a lot of cookies and I had no leftovers. :cookie:

1 Like

GOLDEN CARROT CAKE

Like your regular carrot cake recipe, but this variation uses 24 carrots.

2 Likes

lmao :smiley: :smiley:

Anyone making a special dish this weekend?

It’s the one time a year I like to make Lamb. The price was good so we grabbed a leg :wink:

I’m making exactly that.
Leg o Lamb with Garlic (lots of garlic) and rosemary.
The top of the meat gets scored in a crosshatch, the garlic is crushed in a press and rubbed into the wounds, then salt and pepper. The rosemary gets cut, keeping the pretty ends for garnish and the gnarly ends stripped of their leaves, the leaves sprinkled on top of the meat.

The last of the home grown sweet potatoes.
Some home grown mint jelly.

Also having Northern Spy Apple Pie (had to go clear over to the NY border to get those apples last fall. Very special, hard to find, but the kind gramma used.) I chop, sugar, spice and freeze those in a pie plate shape so I just have to roll out the crust, drop the frozen brick in, put a lid on and cook.

And some Home Brew wine. It came out pretty good this year.

1 Like

You lot remind me of the passengers on the starliner Axiom in the film WALL-E. Now I believe the profession of graphic design is nothing if not fattening!

1 Like

Great minds think alike PD! I’m making sweet potatoes as well and making an apple spice cake. Gonna be a great meal :slight_smile:

and lmao Eriskay … trust me we don’t eat like that all the time.

Couldn’t afford to :smiley:

1 Like

Hey RKK, while I was self-employed and worked at home, many many moons ago, the fridge was mere seconds away – and I didn’t have the self discipline. I am still paying for my sins!

1 Like

If anyone is interested. I’ve been making this for years and it’s always a hit :heart: This is how I make it. You make it how your taste buds like it. I don’t add much sugar. Some add upwards of a cup and that is just too much and overpowers the salad with sweetness as far as I’m concerned. I only add a 1/4 of a cup and it enhances … not overtakes :slight_smile:

Broccoli Bacon Salad

This makes a big batch

Ingredients

2 pounds bacon - cut up and fried crispy
3 big heads of broccoli - chopped up into bite size pieces, including stems ** DON’T Waste them!
3/4 of a big red onion - chopped small
2 cups Golden raisins
2 cups mayonnaise
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
1 cup chopped nuts (Walnuts or Almonds) I had Almonds this time

Directions

Cut bacon into 1 inch pieces with kitchen shears. In a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned and crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels and cool.
Mix broccoli, bacon, red onion, nuts and raisins in a bowl.
Mix mayonnaise, sugar, and vinegar and pour over broccoli mix. Stir until well coated. You might need a little more mayo if your broccoli heads were super big. Just make sure you have coated everything and it’s not dry looking.

Cover and stick in the fridge. Make the day before you need it for all the flavors to meld and bloom :heart:

3 Likes

Nice RKK. In my house that’s known as Sublime Flesh and Vile Weed Medley.

I can’t write good recipes; my procedures are too OCD. Last time I tried, my son-in-law got the 3 pages and said "I’ll just let you make it.’

2 Likes

I made this recently and it was really good. I used Colby jack instead of fancy cheese.

1 Like

lmao HB … that’s too funny :wink:

I love pasta salad :heart:

1 Like

They say that a balanced meal should be colourful. Here’s my favourite supper;

Brown Bread (fresh made)
Black Olives (Kalamata olives are best)
White Stilton
Red Wine

1 Like

Figured I dig up this old thread. My niece requested this cheesecake so I obliged :wink:

It turned out great if anyone is interested in making it.

Death by Chocolate Cheesecake.

I think I found it on Delish. Not sure though I found and saved so many. This was the most doable for me. I can’t do too overly complicated … then I’ll just lose interest :wink:

Death By Chocolate Cheesecake

INGREDIENTS

COOKIE CRUST
24 whole Oreo cookies
6 tbsp. melted butter
Pinch of salt

CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE
4 (8-oz.) packages of cream cheese - softened
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. salt
4 large eggs - room temp
9 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped and melted

CHOCOLATE GANACHE
1 1/2 c. chocolate chips
3/4 c. heavy cream

Chocolate shavings, for garnish

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350° and position an oven rack in the middle of the oven.

Make crust: In a large Ziploc bag or a food processor fitted with a metal blade, crush or blend Oreos until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a bowl and pour in melted butter. Add salt and stir until crumbs are completely coated and moist. Coat a 9" springform pan with cooking spray and press Oreo mixture into pan and 1/3 of the way up the sides, packing tightly.

Make cheesecake: Use hand mixer or stand mixer. In a large bowl beat cream cheese, sugars, cocoa powder, and salt until smooth. Add eggs one a time, beating well between each addition. Fold in melted chocolate. (Keep warm until ready to fold in - if cold it will not mix in right)
Pour cheesecake filling over crust.
Bake until cheesecake is only slightly jiggly in the center, 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes. Refrigerate cheesecake until totally chilled, at least 4 hours and up to overnight.

Make ganache: Place chocolate chips in a medium heatproof bowl and set aside. Heat heavy cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. When bubbles begin to break the surface around the edges of the pan, turn off the heat. Pour the hot cream over chocolate chips, whisking constantly until the sauce is smooth. This takes a couple minutes to come together.
Pour ganache on top of the cheesecake. Return to the refrigerator for about 10 more minutes to let the ganache set.

Garnish with chocolate shavings.