Recipes — for those designers that love to eat too!

Hope my format is ok

Duck Noodles: for two
Heat the Oven to 180 (or your equivalent)
Heat a pan to the max
Have a baking tray for meat ready.

2 Breasts of Duck (highly recommend but can be substituted for something else)

Score the duck fat - and season to your liking
My favourite is Birds Eye Chilli Flakes, Pepper and some Salt.

Heat a pan to the hottest you can
Pan sear the duck breast on the pan - fat side down first.
A lot of fat comes off.
3 minutes
and 3 minutes on the other side

Once it’s golden brown on the fat side it’s good for the oven

Pop into the oven on the baking tray for 20 minutes

Take the pan off the heat (drain some fat if you want - but it’s good fats so don’t drain it all)

Prep veg: (dice, chop, slice whatever you prefer)
Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms, Pak(Bok) Choi - whatever veg you want

Cook the veg in the duck fat - by now it’s seasoned with all the flavours of the bird eye chilli flakes, pepper and salt - so it’s delicious.

Add soy sauce, oyster sauce and fish sauce (towards the end of cooking)

This takes about 15-20 minutes (so it’s ready when the duck is).

While the veg is cooking
Get your noodles - usually only take 5 minutes depending on the brand.
Boil in a pot until cooked.

Serving
Dish out the noodles and Season with Sesame Oil
Place the veg on top of the noodles
Slice up the duck and place on top of the veg & season with Hoisin Sauce.

That’s it.

Ingredients:
Seasme Oil
Hoison Sauce
Fish Sauce
Oyster Sauce
Soy Sauce
Chilli flakes
Pepper
Salt

Duck breasts

Onion
Mushrooms
Pepper
Pak Choi

Prep time
5 minutes

Cook time 20 minutes

1 Like

This was one of my mother’s recipes, it brings back memories of when I was a child.

Red Cabbage Special

Goes especially well with red meat.

Ingredients

1 small Red Cabbage – 1½ to 2 lbs.

2oz of Butter

1 medium sized Onion, sliced

1 large cooking Apple

¼ pint of cheap Port or Sherry

2 teaspoons Salt

1 tablespoon Vinegar

a pinch or two of powdered Cloves to taste

½ teaspoon grated Nutmeg

Plenty of Black Pepper to taste

1 level tablespoon soft Brown Cane Sugar

Method

Peel and core the apple then cut into thick slices.

Cut the cabbage into quarters removing the outer leaves, the white heart and any large pieces of white pith. Shred the cabbage finely.

Place the cabbage in a large bowl and pour in enough boiling water to cover. Leave it for a minute and then drain.

Melt the butter in a large pan and add the onion, cook on a low light long enough to soften but not to brown the onion, approximately five minutes.

Add the apple, the port or sherry, the salt, the vinegar, the powdered clove, the nutmeg and a good grating of black pepper.

Add the cabbage and turn over to mix.

Once the contents of the pan are well mixed cover tightly.

Cook gently until tender, turning the mixture over from time to time. This will take approximately one hour.

Stir in the sugar and serve.

This heats very well the following day loosing none of its flavour.

1 Like

Ran across this one this morning. Definitely going to be making it this Fall :slight_smile:

Cream Cheese Swirled Pumpkin Bread with Salted Maple Butter

242605665_10222092301471543_6946246760240733853_n

Ingredients

3 medium overly ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup mashed, see notes)

1 cup canned pumpkin puree

3/4 cup melted butter

2/3 cup maple syrup

3 large eggs, at room temperature

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice

1/2 teaspoon salt

8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature

1/4 cup cinnamon sugar

Salted Maple Butter

4 tablespoons salted butter at room temperature

2 tablespoons maple syrup

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 (9x5 inch) bread pans.

2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the mashed bananas, pumpkin, butter, maple syrup, eggs, and vanilla until combined. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and salt, mix until just combined. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared bread pans.

3. Place the cream cheese in a gallon size zip-top bag. Snip a small opening off of the corner of the bag. Squeeze out teaspoon size amounts directly into the pumpkin batter, using 4 ounces of cream cheese per bread pan. Gently swirl the cream cheese. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over top the batter.

4. Transfer to the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until center is just set.

5. Meanwhile, make the maple butter. In a small bowl, combine the butter and maple syrup.

6. Remove the bread and let cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting…or just eat it warm with a smear of maple butter (you should do this!). Enjoy!

To Freeze: Bake as directed, cool each loaf completely, then tightly wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze in a freezer bag or freezer safe container for up to 4 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge, or on the counter for a few hours.

Storing: this bread keeps well for 3-4 days at room temperature.

2 Likes

Oh, heck, yes. Definitely passing this on to Mrs. Steve O since she’s the baker in the family.

1 Like

Did that come from Pinterest? If so, it might be easier to ask her to look it up there.

1 Like

Lemme back track … I’m not sure which one LOL. Gimme to shakes of a lambs tail :wink:

That was quicker than I thought. I guess I hadn’t been too many place before I found one I liked lol. It’s from Half Baked Harvest :heart:

If she ends up making it before I do please let me know how it turned out. I probably won’t get to it until at least next week or so :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

This week is nutty for us, so I don’t think she’d have a chance to bake this until next week. Also, you have to time the bananas right. :banana:

Ok … well which ever us gets there first :wink:

Also … instead of bananas you can use another 3/4 cup of pumpkin or 3/4 cup of unsweetened Applesauce. I might just do the extra pumpkin and skip the nanners :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

As luck would have it, we just happened to have the right number of bananas in the right condition. The bread just came out of the oven. It needs to cool a bit before it gets the official taste test.

1 Like

Ohhh!!! Look at that! It looks wonderful! :heart:

Official verdict: it’s okay. And I mean that like “it’s just okay.” It did taste better this morning than last night, but Mrs. Steve O’s straight-up pumpkin or straight-up banana bread is better. The salted maple butter was quite delicious. Do you ever have French toast and get a pool of melted butter and syrup on top? That’s what the salted maple butter tastes like. She did use a white whole wheat flour rather than a white flour, and she used real maple syrup (as opposed to a faux maple syrup like Log Cabin).

1 Like

Well… it sure looked delish lol. That’s why I’m thinking of leaving the bananas out and going with all pumpkin. It seems banana heavy and I want Pumpkin Bread :wink:

Thanks for letting me know :slight_smile:

I’ll be curious to hear how it turns out with all pumpkin.

1 Like

I don’t think I ever got back to you on this … needless to say it was a pretty good. It didn’t raise a lot … but it still tasted great with a cup of tea :wink:

Does anyone like Pickled Eggs?

We do :smiley:

I just made a big batch. They turned out so pretty!

I’ll give them a swirl every couple hours for a little while so they don’t get big white spots from touching each other.

They should be good to start munching in a few days. They make such a great little protein filled snack!

This is a big jar and it contains one of those 18 pack of eggs.

All you do for the brine is heat the following just to the boil to dissolve the sugar.

1 cup water
1 cup vinegar (your favorite - I used white)
1/2 cup sugar - some use a whole cup and I personally think it’s just too much. I don’t want them that sweet. Just a hint of sweet along with the sour.
Add the juice from one can of beets

To the jar dump in the drained beets
Add a jar of Cocktail onions
Add the eggs
Pour over the mixture. You might have some left over.

That’s it. Just refrigerate and give it a few days before you try. But the longer they sit the better they will be. They will last a good 6 months - well if we don’t eat them all by then LOL :wink:

I doubled this btw - it’s meant for a dozen eggs
So my version is
2 cups water
2 cups vinegar
1 cup sugar
2 cans beets
1 BIG jar cocktail onions
18 pack of eggs.

This was our dessert for the 4th - Easy and very yummy! :slight_smile:

Looks messy … but that is all the bubbly goodness coming up around the topping while it baked :slight_smile:

Berry Cobbler

Ingredients

Berry Layer

• 1 tbsp melted butter
  • 2 lb strawberries - quartered
  • 1 large container of blueberries and or raspberries
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
  • 1 tbs Grand Marnier (optional)

Topping

• 1 1/2 cups Bisquick baking mix
  • 2 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
  • 6 tbsp melted butter
  • add a tiny bit more milk if batter gets too thick to drop easily

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease an 8x8-inch or 7x11-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of melted butter or cooking spray.
  2. Make berry mixture, stir to coat berries well and pour into the greased baking dish.
  3. Place the Bisquick baking mix and granulated sugar into a medium mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Pour in the milk and melted butter and stir until well combined.
  4. Spoon the Bisquick batter on top of the berries.
  5. Bake the strawberry cobbler in the preheated oven for about 35 to 40 minutes, until the top looks golden brown and crispy.
  6. Serve the berry cobbler warm or at room temperature. Enjoy with a dollop of whipped cream or top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a special treat.
3 Likes