Resources for web and print design principles

I’ve started getting the hang of CSS/HTML and photoshop, what are some resources to put what I know into practice and design good websites and printed media

Photoshop is not a print layout program. It is an image editor/creator.

@enz, I think you need to do a little bit of research. I understand you’re new to this, but remember that each piece of software has a specific use. If you use Photoshop to create a logo, you’ll quickly find it isn’t the correct file type that can be utilized in various instances. A quick breakdown of Adobe products:

• Photoshop is a bitmap/photo editor
  • Dreamweaver is HTML/CSS editor
  • InDesign is a page layout editor (also - newspapers, magazines, flyers, signs)
  • Illustrator is a vector graphic editor (logos, some illustrations)

Knowing the difference between what each software’s strength lies will save you frustration. Especially when you want to share your work with a client, printer, or another designer.

As far as places to learn, check out Adobe’s Creative Cloud tutorials. As far as HTML goes, edX offers free HTML courses. They charge for a certificate, but if you’re just taking it to learn, it is free.

If you’re getting the hang of HTML, CSS and Photoshop, that’s a step in the right direction for coding websites. Is that what you’re hoping to do?

Designing websites and printed materials require additional skills that, here in the U.S., typically requires formal education and graduation with a four-year degree. It’s not an easy field to break into. Learning design is not the same thing as learning to use a program or a computer language. Getting good at design is somewhat akin to learning to play a musical instrument — it takes years of guidance and practice.

As already mentioned by those above me, Photoshop is, as the name implies, a photo and image editor. It’s certainly a part of print production (as well as website design), but it’s only one of several programs you will need to know. It’s also worth mentioning that learning the programs used by graphic designers is not the same thing as learning graphic design.

Photoshop is an image editing software and its not used for website design.

Pffft. I once thought that too, but you’d be surprised.

1 Like

Yes, Photoshop is image editing software, but it’s most definitely used for website design since designing websites involves editing and optimizing lots of images.

In addition, it’s a useful prototyping tool that enables a designer to quickly explore various design options with the added benefit of having pieces in those graphics being ready to use as might be needed. There are other software tools built especially for website prototyping, but Photoshop is still a big player.

there is html code that resizes photoshop jpgs, don’t even hafta open the program.