Retail / Visual Merchandising Graphics Inspiration

How do you find inspiration while designing Retail / Visual Merchandising Graphics. What are some no BS tips to deliver amazing designs that actually pull the customer in and helps the brand sell?

Firstly - it will largely be dependent on the budget.

And also dependent on the capabilities of the print provider.

There’s no point in designing something that is way out of budget and costs the print provider a fortune to produce.

You need to understand the customer’s needs and reign in their expectations based on budget - some people don’t have a budget.

You will need to understand the brand that you’re selling. Its values and how the brand messages its audience - you would need to study the brand history, its goals, and core values.

Who is the audience? Targeting this is essential. What are the needs, and motivations and what’s the USP that makes them want to buy?

Simpler the better - easy to understand clear and concise. You don’t need to add every message - avoid clutter and too much information.
It’s retail - you need to capture the attention at a glance - as people walk by.

What colour are you going to use? Explore the space in retail settings and see what others are doing. I once designed a book cover for a crowded space in that market and when I went to the bookshop and saw the covers there they were all brown, black, and dark blue. I made mine bright green - and when it hit the shelf it stood out as a block of colour that said ‘pick me’!

It’s also about storytelling. Creating emotional connections.

Testing - market research - a/b split campaigns with focus groups.

Overall - there’s many ways to achieve it.

But a lot is through research and understanding the market.

1 Like

Finding inspiration while designing retail or visual merchandising graphics can sometimes be a challenge. Here are some tips that might help you:

1. Understand the brand and target audience: Before you start designing, make sure you have a clear understanding of the brand’s identity and the target audience. This will help you create designs that are relevant, engaging, and effective in communicating the brand’s message.
  2. Keep up with current trends: Stay up-to-date with the latest trends in design and retail. Look for inspiration in fashion, art, and interior design, and keep an eye on what your competitors are doing.
  3. Think about the customer journey: Consider the customer journey when designing your graphics. Think about how customers will approach and interact with the display, and design graphics that guide them through the experience.

Sounds like copy and paste from CHAT GPT.

Yours or Jessica’s? (I think an IP check is warranted on these two…)

Wait, I thought you wanted to embrace the ChatGPT.
Speaking of which, I read something hysterically funny this morning. Will post it in the other thread.

That’s what I was thinking when I first read it. I think we might need an additional forum rule saying posts need to be written in one’s own words, not copy and paste from chat AI software.

The IP points to a VPN server in Texas, which could indicate someone hiding their location. Then again, giving the benefit of the doubt to a new forum member, if @jessicatcampos wants to respond and clarify, that would be great.

Mine? Was written by myself …

Not yours. Jessica’s reply to yours.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.