Royal Mess-ups šŸ˜¢

I needed some love :heart: from my g.d. peeps today! :pensive:

I royally screwed up today. i wasted a bunch of my co-workerā€™s and my time (he was helping me print a vinyl menu, in a specific font, on a 24x35" chalkboard). we cut 4 lines at a time, 20 lines total, and painstakingly picked out all the non-letter vinyl, and were just finishing up lines 17-20 when we realized we printed THE WRONG MENU! :sob: totally my badā€¦ I sent the wrong pdf to the vinyl machine. thank goodness we caught it before tomorrowā€™s event.

soā€¦in an effort to make me feel not so absolutely, horribly rottenā€¦ what were some of the major mess-ups youā€™ve made in you design career? please donā€™t say Iā€™m the only one! :tired_face:

1 Like

Oh boy. Remember, we all make mistakesā€¦ thatā€™s just human.

maybe this forum will cheer you up a bitā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s just a typical day where I work.
The save is all in the catching it before the client sees it. Iā€™d say you had a pretty good day.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seems to me Iā€™m more human than others.

2 Likes

Examples of my more memorable screwups; these all got to print ā€¦

I misspelled the word ā€˜Professionalā€™
I misspelled the clientā€™s company name on artwork for an invoice
I did a calendar with Easter in November
I did an imposition for a 120 page catalogue where 2 pages got switched around - not my fault, but I didnā€™t spot it on the proofs

Sending the wrong version off to the printers has happened to most of us I suspect.

The examples of other things going wrong can be entertaining too; I did artwork for a large etched glass screen which took ages to get right - eventually it was done but it was dropped in the street by the delivery drivers.
Another time I sent a tube with a rolled up proof to an address in London but got the post code wrong - it was flagged by an automatic system and because it looked like a pipe bomb it was sent for ā€˜disposalā€™ by the Army. Boom. :grimacing:

1 Like

Okay. You win.

1 Like

As far as royal screw ups go, this doesnā€™t seem that bad. Yes, it cost you and a coworker a bunch of time ā€“ which sucks ā€“ but the error was caught before anything was delivered to the client. That calls for a celebratory drink in my book!

1 Like

I remembered another one - I sent a numbered invoice set with numbers from 10001-10500 instead of 100001-100500. Ten books triplicate NCR, perfed and bound. A lot of hand finishing as well as the printing had to be done again.

1 Like

I had Santa Clause on the OFC of a national magazine. It was ages ago and I still cannot live that down. Well, what doesnā€™t kill me makes me stronger, one hopes.

1 Like

Nope, Iā€™m perfect and Iā€™ve never made a mistake. I kid, I kid. I just canā€™t remember anything huge lately. We all make mistakes.

1 Like

thanks all! i do feel a little better today. some of my co-workers chimed in with a few of their own major mess ups.

and i also remembered last night that my x-husband worked for a world-class telescope, and one of his co-workers dropped a 22" mirror (not a regular mirrorā€¦a mirror for the telescope) while transporting it from hawaii to oahu. $5000 mistake! :open_mouth:

so yeah, some things are definitely worse. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I only have to hear the LifeFlight helicoptor coming in for a landing at the local hospital to realize other people are having worse days than I am. Everything in perspective.

2 Likes

That is very true.

1 Like

well, i work with in-house clients that work in africa, bringing clean water to villages, so single moms donā€™t have to spend the majority of their day looking for food and waterā€¦so, yea, gotta remember that perspective. :slight_smile:

thanks all!

1 Like

No mess up there, just a do over. Stuff happensā€¦itā€™s all part of the business. Messing up would be finding out from the client.

1 Like

I typed ā€œeditionā€ wrong on the spine of a die stamped book that made it to print (thankfully caught before binding!) I also spelled Bristol Myers Squibb ā€“ ā€œMeyerā€ like Oscar Meyer which also didnā€™t get caught until the book cover printed. Ultimately, the editor should have caught the typos, but I felt responsible because I was the one who did the typing. (This was early on before editors emailing copy was standard practice. Now I strictly cut and paste, no typing if I can help it.)

2 Likes