Self taught designers using semiotics?

Hi, I was wondering if any self taught designers would be kind enough to answer a couple of dissertation questions? A few sentences even would suffice!
Thank you in advance!

1. Is implementing semiotic theory something you consider when approaching a new brief?

2. Being a self taught designer do you feel that you would have benefited from knowing more about the theory of semiotics in the early stages of your career?

3. During client feedback and discussion have you ever used semiotic theory to explain a decision behind your design? If so was the client more likely to go ahead with concept?

Yes, but not necessarily in a formal sense. There is always effort to communicate effectively. Most often, design decisions and general strategy are largely rooted in market research factored by instinct. But that is instinct developed over decades of study, personal experience, campaign metrics, and all manner of observation. Semiotic theory can be in that mix, perhaps sometimes coincidentally, but it’s not like I apply it “by the book”.

It’s possible that might have made me a better designer sooner, but the trajectory of my career didn’t expressly call for it. Then again, semiotics is one of those things that someone can practice or apply without even knowing there’s a word for it, or theory to study.

Again, not formally. In much the same sense that I’d want a design to produce the desired effect on a visceral level—that effect often being the simple, less visceral focus on hard-coded, spelled-out information—I try to handle client relations without necessarily sharing “theory”. In other words, I want them to “laugh at the joke” as opposed to needing the comedian to explain it.

This is great feedback! Thank you for taking the time to do this!