***Snickers, Chuckles, Giggles & Guffaws!

The only real Friday is Pay Day Friday. Which is today! Yay!

1 Like

2 Likes

sign

5 Likes

cup

1 Like

2 Likes

I knew several people that had one or the other of these sets.

3 Likes

:laughing: grew up during the 90’s and remember people with that furniture!

2 Likes

I’ve still got that carpet and the lamp in my parent’s house that I own. If I remember right, they laid it down in the 1970s. The house has sort of a frozen-in-time look, but I don’t mind. :wink:

1 Like

My Grandparents had that first couch, but had olive side chairs. They didn’t have a love seat and I’m sure my Gram would have felt having all three major pieces the same fabric was too overpowering. After all, to her it was not a couch or sofa … it was a Davenport :smiley:
My ex-inlaws, an old boyfriend and one great aunt had the second set. It was the most uncomfortable furniture. It was definitely something for sitting only. You sure didn’t want to try and curl up in it … you couldn’t! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

We still have that carpet ! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Yeah, my parents had a couch very similar to the one on the right. Heavy, dark stained wood frame with the burnt orange pattern.

1 Like

My Grandma always called the couch a davenport. Must be an upstate NY thing!

2 Likes

I have vague recollections of sofas being referred to as devans.

1 Like

My Gram was from Crown Point. Her whole family called it a Davenport. My Gramp was from Glens Falls but his Mom and Dad came over from Sweden and they all called it a Sofa.

My B.I.L is from Morocco and he called it a Divan, but that was years ago. Now he calls is a couch like the rest of us :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve never heard anyone call a sofa/couch a davenport, so I looked it up and found this.

I’m guessing it’s a regional northeastern U.S. thing. I also found that in Britain, a writing desk is often referred to as a davenport.

2 Likes

I was pretty sure it was regional too. Because no one I know from other places has ever used it :wink:

I also was watching a Canadian gal on YouTube and she referred to it as a Chesterfield :smiley: I love all the names for one piece of furniture :stuck_out_tongue:

There is a specific type of “couch” called a Chesterfield. Rolled arms and made of leather. Some Duke in Britain had it designed eons ago. But, now it’s become more of a name for any couch in certain parts of Canada … or so I’ve read :wink:

2 Likes

Dr. Johnny Fever isn’t predominantly featured in this clip, but this has been in my mind this morning since hearing about Howard Hesseman.

2 Likes

A classic :smiley:

1 Like

4 Likes

Good answer Molly … I fully understand

:grin:

1 Like