So I have another question in my course

Hey everyone, you were all so helpful with my last question, I thought I’d ask you about some print terminology.
I have about 60 print-related words that I have to find definitions for, and it’s hard going.
Really hard going.
Especially when google comes up with a million suggestions for the word other than the one I want–not that I even know what I’m looking for!

I knew some definitions off the top of my head, researched more, but there’re a few that I’m still stuck with:
Analogue proof
Mechanical fastening
Thermal fastening

If anyone knows the definitions of any of these off the top of their heads, I would very much appreciate some help!

We aren’t going to do all of your homework for you.
Any one of those items can be found with a simple browser search if you preface the word with “Printing term”

1 Like

Thanks PrintDriver, for that website, it looks very useful.
I have tried the “simple browser search,” including the “print term” but as I said, I don’t really know what answer I’m looking for and there’re many in the results. Sometimes I don’t know if I’ve got a totally wrong understanding of a word, or if my summary only makes sense in my own head, but I suppose I’ll find out when I get marked if this is the case.
Thanks again though for the website, hopefully I’ll find some answers!

I’ve been doing this for nearly 40 years now and I’ve never heard of about a third of the things on your list. :thinking:

Thanks B, I was beginning to feel like a bit of an idiot when it comes to design, because I really am struggling to even recognize the right answer if I were staring at it, so little is my knowledge of this stuff!
The list I posted here was only about a sixth of the list in my task.
After googling for about six hours, I’ve managed to narrow it down, but I suppose I’ll just have to keep googling!


I haven’t seen your previous post but I’m very curious what kind of course you’re taking. I learned print related stuff, but I only know about 3 things from your list what it is… crazy!

Hey Juice, the course I’m studying is cert III in print communications.
I really know almost nothing about the print side of design, so I’m learning loads, but I am struggling at times.
This forum has been a great help though.

I recognize all but one term; “beating”
Print term beating brings up:

Blendertype machine used to pulverize pulp and for mixing additives and color to the stock.

Learn something new every day.

oh, and dye line really should be spelled “die line.” Could be why you can’t find it.

Okay, thanks PrintDriver.
I’ll try the different spelling.

Here are just two types of mechanical fasteners (all kinds out there from staples to industrial cleats,) use is dependent on which print industry you are in.

Conventional print Chicago Screw or Post and Screw (it has another name in the signage industry: sex bolt)

Gyford standoff with wall anchor (look it up.)

These are just random youtube videos. I don’t use this particular equipment.

Flatbed cutter

Die-cutter (with fold-scoring bonus, grippers too, they grab the sheet stock)

Here is a whole bunch of “Step and Repeat” as it pertains to the wide format print industry (refers to how you make the digital file using the Step&Repeat functions of the software):

You might try “analog proof” vs “digital proof.” We call them physical proofs or hard proofs here.

I have just a little more time this morning for a better answer, but I still don’t have enough time to give you well-written answers or look them up myself to make sure my definition matches others. Many of the terms you’ve listed are jargon, and jargon differs from one region to another and even from one shop to another. Another thing to consider is that your instructor isn’t necessarily up on most of these things either or has his or her own definition that he thinks is more widespread than it really is (trust me, design instructors don’t know everything).

Analogue proof: A hard-copy proof as opposed to a digital proof, although I’ve never heard it called analogue before

Beating: There’s a process in the manufacture of paper pulp that’s called beating. You’ll need to look it up for details. Or maybe it’s what happens to a pressman when he screws up a job.

Digesting: I’ve heard this term used in dozens of ways. I have no idea which one your instructor wants.

Dye-line: Irregular cuts are sometimes needed. A die line is supplied to the printer to guide them in making those cuts. Again, look it up (using the correct spelling).

Flatbed-cutters: There are lots of these kinds of things that do various kinds of cutting. It’s an easy one to Google.

Grippers: When paper goes through a press, things called grippers hold the edges to keep the paper in place and guide it through the press.

H&J: Hyphenate and justify, maybe. I’ve never heard anyone say H&J, though.

Hemp: Huh? Maybe your instructor is referring to paper made from hemp. Maybe your instructor has a substance abuse problem. Who knows?

ISO: International Organization of Standards. This group sets all kinds of standards for things — print-related things being one of them

Mechanical fastening: Who knows? Anything mechanical that fastens something to something else might fit this definition. Again, maybe your instructor has something specific in mind.

OCR: Optical Character Reader. It’s software that recognizes scanned letter shapes and converts it into text.

Scoring: When paper is folded, it’s sometimes scored to make the fold sharper

Screen-ruling: Halftone dots per linear inch or LPI, I suppose. For example, a halftone screen might be 150 lpi. I’ve rarely heard it referred to as screen ruling, though.

Step-and-repeat: Burning the same artwork onto a plate in a pattern multiple times to create a pattern for a banner or backdrop or whatever. It likely applies to digital too. I’ve heard the same term used in other ways too, though.

Thermal fastening: Like mechanical fastening, there are lots of thermal fasteners, but I have no idea what your instructor is referring to. For example a rubbery sort of glue is used to perfect bind (look it up) the edges of books to hold the pages together, which is different from, say saddle stitching (look it up), which might be referred to as a mechanical fastener, I suppose. Again, though, I’ve never heard either thermal or mechanical fasteners used as precise terms that apply to specific things. They seem awfully general to me.

Thanks SO MUCH, B and PrintDriver.
You’re such gems!
My list of words that I haven’t done is getting shorter.

Hey, where did B’s post go? It’s disappeared on me.
I need that!:cry:

Never mind. It’s back.:sweat_smile:

Step and repeat has always referred to the way a file is built, not so much an output type, except for those backwall things I posted a link for. And even those are called that because of the way they are built. My sign softwares actually have a function called Step and Repeat under the Array function where you select an item, or set of items, then you have boxes to input the offset step and the number of repeated lines.

Thanks, PrintDriver.
I really appreciate your help.

©2019 Graphic Design Forum | Contact | Legal | Twitter | Facebook