Spain's La Palma volcano erupted today

It’s been 50 years since the last time this happened.

Here is some drone footage.

3 Likes

Very sad, but still fascinating.

The lava spilling into the swimming pool and the larger reservoir is amazing — the entire reservoir of water appeared to be boiling.

1 Like

That’s crazy.

1 Like

(Praying) Amen…

I hope that they are okay. There will be casulties… but… nature is nature. You can’t stop it.

2 Likes

The juxtaposition of scales is staggering. Our tiny lives sit precariously atop the mutable skin of a much larger one.

2 Likes

Sobering to think that this is the good news - if this had happened differently, a 20-40 meter tsunami sweeps across the Atlantic and goodbye to a lot of the east coast of America, not a good day either for Morocco, the UK, Spain, Portugal, France …

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

On the one hand, the scale and scope and type of event is absolutely terrifying.

On the other, though, the imagery and colors are stunning. Always feels odd, how beautiful something that causes so much suffering can be.

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

I wonder who own the new land which has been created, is it free for anyone to claim or does it belong to the Spanish government ? :thinking:

I don’t know what Spain’s specific laws are, but in Hawaii new land created by volcanic eruption belongs to the state.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Incredible footage! The power and strength of nature, before which man turns into a little ant, and if we are still alive, it is only because nature gives us the right to live. And if we forget about it, thinking that everything around depends only on us, then sometimes when you see such power, you realize that we are powerless before the forces of nature. Today even the smallest invisible messenger of nature called a virus can kill us, and you suddenly realize involuntarily that we exist only thanks to those forces that just let us live for now.

We only exist cuz Ma Nature hasn’t gotten pissed off enough yet. She’s getting real close though…