Spare a second for a learner?

Hi all,

First time post, so please bear with.
I have developed an interest in editing after making some “professional” videos for my company which got me very interested in improving (or really just getting knowledge of graphic design), particularly after receiving positive feedback from them.
As I will be moving to a new job soon which requires additional training outside working hours, this means I will not be able to complete college / university based courses but am hoping to get some advice on skills I need to start independently researching, as well as any free apps or programmes (for IoS) to help a new person to this field. Once I understand a bit more of the basics then I am happy to pay for more resources in order to improve my knowledge and ability but any advice / steps on what I should be looking to would be very much appreciated.

I guess I am interested in producing animated backgrounds to images, film posters or effective front pages and designs for websites but if I am honest, once I see something I like then I get hooked so am always interested in boosting my skills.

Thanks so much for any help / advice and knowledge sharing you can part with, and apologies if this question has been asked a million times before.

Michael

Hi,
Not quite sure what you are asking for.
Your first paragraph seems to be about video editing, but the third one talks about animated backgrounds, film posters, and web front pages.
That’s potentially a lot of different software and skillsets.
Can you narrow down your question a bit?

Hi
Ahh I see where that mistake has come from, apologies
The first paragraph was more my experience recently in editing (in this case video) which I enjoyed and therefore was hoping to expand into Graphic Design as it is an area I am completely unfamiliar with.

I would therefore need to learn from the ground up and am unsure of starting points, programmes, resources to look at / purchase.

I would say that animated backgrounds, film posters and web front pages are my main goals, but by no means am I saying can a user on this forum teach me all of these things as that would take way too long.

More so I was hoping for advice on what resources as well as projects could a complete beginner be looking to in order to then gain an understanding and develop into a new area, before becoming overwhelmed or conversely purchasing Udemy courses and WH Smith books and simply getting lost in a mass of information.

I am hoping to look at free tutorials or apps as a taster if there were any recommendations and then progress into paid software etc. I wouldn’t say there is an order to my interests in backgrounds, posters, web pages but these are more so my goals I would like to work towards, using any suggestions provided.

Hope that rambling makes sense.

More so I was hoping for advice on what resources as well as projects could a complete beginner be looking to in order to then gain an understanding and develop into a new area, before becoming overwhelmed or conversely purchasing Udemy courses and WH Smith books and simply getting lost in a mass of information.

Udemy = Beginners Guide that will guide you step by step through introductory graphic design that you can do at your own pace

Asking for advice on a forum = getting lost in a mass of information that will overwhelm you

Hope this helps.