Spot UV business card?

hello guys,

does anyone know how to make Spot UV Business Card with UV varnish? see exemple below

Do you want to know how to make them or do you want to know how to prepare the artwork so a printer can make them for you.

If you want to make them yourself, it’s a much bigger question.

1 Like

That almost looks too thick to be varnish…

1 Like

Assuming you’re wanting to design the cards and send them out for printing, the spot coating should be set up as a spot color plate in your design program and call it varnish – basically, threat it like a spot color. Make sure you clearly communicate what you’re after with your printer – you can even ask for samples. Mixing gloss and dull coatings may be needed to maximize the contrast.

I agree with @Steve_O. This is something you collaborate with your printer to accomplish.

1 Like

Most printers are going to ask you for a file containing your full color/4-color artwork (which in the attached example, would be blank, Or possibly contain black type) and they’re going to ask for a “mask” file. This file would be a vector outline in 100K black, depicting where the spot UV will be placed.

I agree PrintDriver-- I’m thinking that’s thermography not spot varnish. Maybe black thermo on a black matte stock like plike.

1 Like

Yeah, I agree. It’s thermography over a matte finish of some kind.

Sarita, whether thermography, UV, varnish or whatever, preparing the artwork would be the same — use a spot color in the artwork, then tell the printer what you had in mind for that spot color. As always, it’s a good idea to seek out the right printers, ask them about it ahead of time and follow their advice.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen thermography, but I remember it being more bubble or wavy. The surface of the letters depicted looks awfully smooth. It could be a clear foil stamp.

Looks bubbly, thick and slightly irregular to me — just like thermography. Could be something else, but I think probably not.

I never liked thermography until I started seeing interesting things done with it in paper sample books. Twenty-plus years ago, it was just a cheap, slightly tacky substitute for engraving. Over the past decade or so, I’ve really seen great things done where designers have taken advantage of thermography’s rubbery thickness to create some really interesting work.

thanks @Juast-B for your reply. yes I would like to do it my self, do you know any business card mock up that can help in the subject ?

Now I’m really confused. Are you saying you’re just trying to put together a mockup? If so, I can’t really help you with that. When needed, I typically create my own mockups. I think what you posted is an actual photograph.

By the way the light was manipulated I thought it was a moch up.

Love the depth though … almost oozes.

If you don’t know the print process, how do you intend to mock it up?
Don’t mock up anything unless you have a general idea on how to proceed.
I’ve seen more than my share of “invisible” fasteners and anti-grav devices.

Agreed. It makes me wonder if the card material was already pre-prepared black to get the ink to stand up. See how the card looks to be one of those layered papers cards (usually they are black on the edges and white on the top - here it’s reversed). But the front looks flat black like construction paper.

UV is a lot thicker than regular ink but I I doubt they just used separate plates for the matte and the gloss because I don’t see them getting that much relief.

Also, it looks like it printed with rich UV metallic black (see the green in the reflection?) but that could just be the photo.