Talking to a client

Hi, i started to design singles covers and albums cover arts few months ago. I posted my work mostly on Instagram and recently started to get some job offers,
but i don’t know how exactly talk to the clients. I’m having trouble finding the words to talk about payment… Also, do i have to write a contract or any sort of agreement? And which payment method do you recommend on? (My clients are form The US and i live in europe)

The answers you seek are in “Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing and Ethical Guidelines”

1 Like

Hi. If you work with EU and US clients, most of them would prefer signing an agreement. I suggest that you simply google “graphic design sample contract” or “graphic designer contract template”. Typically, you would only need to fill in your personal and your client’s details. There’s no need for buying expensive templates - you can find hundreds of them!

How an agreement is signed. That’s easier than ABC. You just print and sign it, then scan it and send via email to your client. The client prints, signs, scans, and emails it back to you accordingly. That’s it!

Which payment method to use. Well, the easiest way for EU and US clients to send money to you is PayPal. Nearly everyone uses it. You only need to let them know your email address connected to your PayPal account and that’s it - you can receive payments. However, it might happen that PayPal doesn’t provide its full features in your country (for example, you might not be able to withdraw funds from PayPal to your bank account or card).

In that case, you can use Payoneer, which is used by many freelancers worldwide. In a nutshell, this method allows you to create an invoice for your client and send it to them via email or messenger (btw, you can choose currency - US dollars, Euro, GB pounds). The client will be able to pay the invoice with any debit/credit card. You typically receive funds to your account within 3-5 days. After that, you can withdraw money from any ATM worldwide using Payoneer card or send them to your local bank account.

Hope that helps!

2 Likes

You can use PayPal business account to receive your payment.
It accepts most of credit cards and debit cards.