Teamtreehouse - Should I use it?

I was on YouTube when I came across a video made by an instructor from this site. They have courses to teach about front-end development. Has anyone here heard of them or used them?
I’m trying to find out if I should use their service.
A short description of this course reads:

We’ll teach you everything you need to know to build a strong technical foundation, including HTML , JavaScript , CSS , Development Tools and more.

There’s a 7 day free trial, after which it costs $199 per month. I don’t know if I can learn at my own speed or take other courses as well at the price. I’m contacting them to find out.
But does anyone here have thoughts about this or know of a better service to use?
Thank you!

I just found this on the site:

What is the program length, and how much time should I expect to commit?

Program length varies by Techdegree. Currently, students can submit projects every 7 days for review. Assuming your project passes on the first try, the quickest you can complete any Techdegree is 3 months. Below is a breakout of how much time you can expect to dedicate to complete the program, including courses and projects.

• Front End Web Development - 150-190 hours
  • Full Stack JavaScript - 240-280 hours
  • iOS - 220-260 hours
  • Python Web Development - 190-230 hours

But, if how quickly I earn a “degree” depends on how whether or not my projects are accepted right away, what would keep teachers from making me redo projects just to keep me using the service longer? Maybe nobody has an answer to this, but just in case someone has experience with this site, I thought I’d ask.

For any others who might stubble upon this thread looking for information about this service, I’ll post about my contact with them.
I just sent them this message:

Hello. I have a few questions about your services. I looked at one of the courses you offer, and it says the cost is $199/month after the trial. I want to ask, do I need to pay that for each course? Or at that rate, can I take as many classes as I want for as many courses as I want? I also saw that whether or not/how quickly I pass a course is partially determined by whether or not my projects are accepted by the instructors the first time, second time, third time, etc. Since I must pay monthly, I want to ask what would keep my projects from being given failing scores in order to make me pay for this service for a longer period of time? In a YouTube video, and instructor said that I could learn here for $25/month. Which courses are offered at that rate? And my final question, for now, is, how accessible are the instructors if I have questions or need help during a course? Thank you for your time.

I’ll post about what they say once I get a reply.
But I’d still appreciate any answers from the members here, as I’d like to know your personal experiences with this service. Thank you so much to anyone who’s willing to share.

Hey mel.

Be wary of anything the salespeople will tell you. Sometimes when you sign up for services, it can be really tough to cancel. They’ll tell you anything to get you to sign up.

While I can’t give any advice about TeamTreehouse in particular, I can give advice about nano-degrees as a whole (they seem to call them Techdegrees). They really don’t mean much on your resume.

Any company that will hire you without a 4 year degree (and there are quite a lot these days) will care more about these things:

You work well with a team (coding as a group and working through a project).

You can explain the decisions you make.

You can explain certain things like data structures (Arrays, Object, Classes, linked lists, double linked lists, hash maps). Even if you’re using a language that doesn’t have things like hash maps (like JS) then you should be able to create one using classes.

You have some knowledge of “O notation”, or the cost of certain operations and data structures.

Use of APIs, and async methods (Await, callbacks, promises) in general

The DOM.

The Event loop.

-For back end or full-stack it gets a little more complicated.

The problem for monthly subscriptions is that to avoid paying a lot of money- you might be rushing to get things completed quickly. That’s a pretty bad way to learn.

I’d recommend something like Udemy. You can get certain courses that teach everything you’ve mentioned + more for $10. The list price is like $200 or something, but they have sales/coupons all the time. You’ll own the videos (or own access to them) and you can go back and touch up on anything you didn’t get the first time.

1 Like

An instructor from this forum? We don’t have instructors. We have members … so if you happened upon a member from here making Youtube vids it has nothing to do with this site. Just so you know :wink: Had to put that out there.

If you start from zero I’d recommend Lynda or Udemy, which have more reasonable pricing.
I came across this and think it looks really good: https://www.udemy.com/the-complete-web-developer-in-2018/ (no affiliation)

1 Like

That’s one I’d recommend

1 Like

@Obsidian Thanks for the advice. And I’m especially appreciative that you took the time to type so much about what employers look for. It’s really helpful. Thank you.

@RedKittieKat Oh, I guess the way I typed that was confusing. I meant that the instructor was from the aforementioned site in that post.

@Udo I appreciate the suggestions. Thank you.

I checked out udemy. I’ve heard of it before. I visited their site the other day. After you guys suggested it here, I went back. Now all of their courses are $10.99. Maybe it’s because I’m a new-ish site visitor?
Anyway, I started piling the courses that I wanted to take into my cart. But then I thought, I should look at lynda.com before I buy so many. I began to sign up for the one month free trial, but in the middle of signing up, the site went under maintenance.
Maybe I should take it as a sign. But just in case divine intervention isn’t on my side. Would someone mind giving me and idea of the length of the courses on lynda? I like that there are so many long courses on udemy. A lot of information is bundled up together so I don’t have to click around looking for a ton of different videos. Is lynda like this too? Or is it more like skillshare, which seems to have a bunch of relatively short video courses?
Thank you in advance to anyone who can answer my question.

Oh, and I’ve got 4 hours before the udemy courses are no longer discounted for me. So if this post is more than 4 hours long, you can basically ignore this question. But still share you opinions on the sites if you’d like to. I’d like to hear as many opinions on this topic as people are willing to share.
Many thanks!

Ok cool :slight_smile: Thank you for the clarification :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lynda.com uses a subscription model, It’s been forever since I’ve logged into Lynda, so I can’t even remember what the structure was like. I just remember not liking the subscription when trying to learn something- because it gives me unneeded pressure. With Udemy, you buy the course, and have access to it for ever (unless the site goes under).

I mean, you can use the free trial to see if you like Lynda, or anything else. Especially since the cost is only $25-40 a month- in case you get into it.

And don’t worry too much about the Udemy pricing thing. No one buys the courses at full price. They have “sales” nearly all the time, and if you register for one course, you’ll get countless offers for the discounted courses again. So you don’t even have to buy them all at once. I would test one out, and see how you like the structure.

2 Likes

Lynda got bought by LinkedIn a while ago and it looks like they are closing down Lynda and have put the courses on LinkedIn learning. I found Lynda’s courses of really high quality. You could really see that they’ve been in that business for a while. Very polished. I haven’t used them in a while though. Lynda had some brief courses but really interesting were the long ones. I’d say length wise Lynda and Udemy are comparable. E.g. Udemy’s “The Complete Web Developer in 2018 Zero to Mastery” is about 26 hours. I remember a Photoshop course on Lynda by Deke McClelland that was ~20 hours. So both have courses that really go into details. The long courses always come with sample or work files as well.
With Lynda/LinkedIn you can pay month by month and have access to all content, with Udemy you pay course by course. About the special deals: those are all over the place and I have no idea how often you’ll be able to get those rebates. I think you should go by what course fits your needs the best.

1 Like

@Obsidian @Udo I see, so its kind of like the JC Penny’s of online web tech education. Everything’s always “on sale” there. Good to know. Thanks for the information again you guys, and for your thoughts and opinions.

Well, if you guys are interested to know and in case other people who are just starting out come across this thread, I want to add an update about what I decided to do, my communication with teamtreehouse , and my thoughts.

I decided that, since there is a 30-day money back policy on the Udemy courses if I’m not satisfied, I’d go ahead and buy the courses that I most want to complete now, before the “sale” was over.
After listening to what people here had to say, I decided that over all Lynda didn’t seem like the best option. While you get unlimited access to all the courses while you’re subscribed, I agree with Obsidian that it adds pressure to complete the courses. Plus, I like the fact that after buying a course from Udemy, I have access it forever.
So then I was only left trying to decide between Udemy and TreeHouse. Who, by the way responded to my message with this:

"Thanks for reaching out, and for your interest in our Techdegree program! The $199 charge would be per month, not per course. You will be able to work as much as you wish during that time on the courses.

The projects do have a 7-day submission timeframe you must wait before you can submit the next one, once you’ve passed. The code within your project will be reviewed, and then you’ll be given a grade of whether you’ve passed or not, or even exceeded expectations if you add the additional requests for that project outline. If you don’t pass, you can re-submit right away, after you make the necessary changes.

Here is a breakdown of the plans we offer:

• Basic $25/month or $250/annual. This provides you with access to our library and tracks page. Content within the library may have some limitations as some content is exclusive to Pro._
    * Pro $49/month or $490/annual. This provides you with full access to the content within our library.
    _* Techdegree $199/month or $2,388/annual. This includes everything that Pro offers but also includes our highly specialized and rigorous Techdegree course for the language that you elect. You can read up on our Techdegree program at teamtreehouse

With the Techdegree plan, you will get access to private discussion channels using the instant-messaging app Slack. You can talk to other students in the program in real-time: share resources, discuss the projects, and even have other students and staff look over your projects and give you feedback before you submit them for grading.

For the Basic and Pro plans, you will have access to our [Community] forum, to seek out help with your code or further understanding of content in our courses. Once you’ve posted your question on our forum our teachers can then provide assistance."

I considered not posting this without their permission because it seemed like it would be bad somehow, but this is really just and informative message about what they offer, so, I don’t think any harm will come of it.

I also read a bit more about whey offer from a few different sites and watched a few videos that different people posted about it. And I have to say that I’m kind of won over by them.
To me, it seems worth it because I’ll have access to the teachers and to the other students. I think it will make learning much faster and easier to have that guidance. And, even if the techdegrees aren’t taken very seriously, I’ll still learn what I need to know about what I study from them, which is what I’m mainly concerned about.
And I’ll use Udemy for things that I can’t learn at TreeHouse. I haven’t taken the plunge of signing up for TreeHouse yet. There’s a small trial period, but I want to make all 7 days count, and I don’t have time to do anything on the site yet.

I should also mention that I watched an interview with the founder and CEO of teamtreehouse And it seems like he genuinely created this service to help people. I’m not basing my entire opinion of this service off of that. I had already decided to give it a shot before seeing that video, but it does give me a better opinion of the company.

So that’s where my mind is currently. I’ll write more here for anyone who come across this or is interested later.

Thanks again for everyone who responded and helped me figure out what I wanted to do.

Hi @mel few months ago I decided to learn web development and deepen the web design, there is many information and deciding where to start can be overwhelming, I’ll share with you what has helped me most.

Take one of the www.Udemy.com courses, there are many good courses that will help you with the basics and a little more. The prices are good too.

https://www.freecodecamp.org/ Join a supportive community of coders of all levels. Build projects and earn free certifications.

https://www.w3schools.com/ is full of tutorials, examples and references of the web development.

https://www.youtube.com/ there are hundreds of dedicated web design and development channels, many show you step by step the design to code process.

I hope this helps you get started!

This is a really bizarre thread.
The original poster seems to have done all they can to get multiple links to this one service they’re “interested in” but except for one slip on Lynda has studiously managed not to include the .com that would have provided links to competitors. It all reads like a huge advertisement.

I took all that out. I think they did a blanket copy/paste and it picks up every link and puts it in.

I think the OP was genuinely asking for help … but as they say … we shall see :smiley:

About Lynda.com… if LinkedIn bought them, I wonder if the videos are still offered free to library members? (I tried to check but my library website seems to be down right now.)

If LinkedIn bought it, consider it down the tubes. Until I had tried to deal with customer support at LinkedIn I didn’t think anyone could be that bad. It’s worse. As in non-existent.

btw: LinkedIn is part of Microsoft since 2016

Looks like it was purchased back in 2015.

LinkedIn just purchased Lynda , an online learning company, for $1.5 billion, the company announced on Thursday, Apr 9, 2015.

https://www.businessinsider.com/linkedin-buys-lyndacom-for-15-billion-2015-4

Lynda is still available in the King County library system. Free.