The Day The Music Died (possibly NSFW video thumbnail)

For all you who like REAL music, thought I would pass this along. I am probably just getting old. :smiley:

Why Modern Music is Awful (A bit of a watch @ 20min)

2 Likes

This keeps showing up as a suggested video for me. I have not watched it yet, but I guess I will when I have a minute.

This explains a lot and proves I’m not just a cranky old person. There are very few artists I can tolerate now days. I am also stuck in the songs of last century. They will never brainwash me or get me by over exposure. All that crap does is piss me off even more.

I also had no idea the majority of current pop songs are by 2 men LOL … that also explains a lot :wink:

I clearly remember when Lorde’s Green Light remix by Chromeo dropped … it was (and still is) epic!

LOUD timber crunched insta luv!!!

I agree with you all, My google play list is all 60’s, 70’s 80’s and some 90’s I stopped listening when, what I felt was crap, started coming on the radio. Long watch, but totally informative.

1 Like

There’s always been a lot of crap in the charts. We only remember the good stuff.

Just look at this top 10 for this week in 1985:

1 2 EVERYBODY WANTS TO RULE THE WORLD –•– Tears For Fears (Mercury)-13 (1 Week at #1) (1)
2 1 EVERYTHING SHE WANTS –•– Wham! (Columbia)-12 (1)
3 3 AXEL F –•– Harold Faltermeyer (MCA)-11 (3)
4 5 SUDDENLY –•– Billy Ocean (Jive)-12 (4)
5 7 HEAVEN –•– Bryan Adams (A&M)-8 (5)
6 8 THINGS CAN ONLY GET BETTER –•– Howard Jones (Elektra)-12 (6)
7 9 IN MY HOUSE –•– Mary Jane Girls (Gordy)-14 (7)
8 4 DON’T YOU (Forget About Me) –•– Simple Minds (A&M)-16 (1)
9 10 FRESH –•– Kool & The Gang (De-Lite)-12 (9)
10 11 WALKING ON SUNSHINE –•– Katrina & The Waves (Capitol)-12 (10)

To me there is 1 stone cold classic in there and most of the rest is crap. Check out any week and see what I mean;

Having said that I have always tried to listen to new music and the potential classics are few and far between (eps. in the charts).

First, I don’t like most of the music being released today. Way too much of it is unimaginative, repetitive, vulgar and just plain uninteresting.

I agree with the general criticisms of guy in the video, but I’ve heard most of these same criticisms before — way back in the 1960s and '70s when I was growing up. They were stated a bit differently, but the arguments were basically the same: today’s music is awful and was much better when we were young.

So even though what passes for today’s music is actually garbage, I just can’t help thinking back a few decades and hearing my parents say the same things about what I was listening to. I really suspect that today’s teenagers will say exactly the same thing in 30 years about the music that is popular then.

People, I think, have a tendency to like what they were most exposed to when they were growing up. Whatever their peer groups thought was great music during their teen years is typically what they end up loving too. There are exceptions, of course (like the guy in the video), but I’ve seen the same thing repeat itself for decades now, and I think it’s mostly true.

So with that said, yeah, today’s music is total crap. Led Zeppelin’s first album is and always will be the best album ever released (despite my mother having constantly lectured me about Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman being far better).

Tom Petty’s been saying this for years. At least as far back as 2002. Even wrote a song about it then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Evs5HjjL0PM

I think that there is a lot of great stuff out there you kinda need to search for it. I am not a fan of classic rock from the 70s & 80s. I have switch back and forth from country to metal for about 20 years. I now pretty much listen to a lot of progressive metal like Gemini Syndrome and Nothing More. I currently have the band Red Sun Rising at the top of my youtube and spotify playlist.

Ohh Yeh and Volbeat