The embossing effect

In the following image, the font has an embossing effect. I understand that occurs because of a thin glow line around the edges. But it’s also not along all the edges. It kind of seems random to me, but the effect is spot on. So, is there a way, a trick if you will, to figure out which edges should have the glow line to be able to create the emboss effect?

1 Like

You have to visualize what a single source of light will look like when it strikes an object from one direction. It basically works like a drop shadow in reverse, if that makes sense. A lot of times the lower bevels will show a deeper shadow as well.

Your example is really subtle but the light is only coming from the top. It’s almost a direct downlight, or maybe slightly from the front as there are no bottom shadows on the lower bevels.

1 Like

This might seem like a lame response, but I’ve checked out different tuts on YouTube for embossing or letterpress effects. I generally just “eye” the effects and adjust settings until the desired effect is acheived.

You can play with the light angle on a beveled image in Illustrator’s 3D tool. It’s a clunky interface but if you turn on preview, I believe you can see what’s going on. (I don’t use the light to do 3D in Illustrator. It creates stitching that will print. But that’s a different rant.)

Yes, I can see that now. Thanks, PD.

Thank you, Decker. I’m going to go and try my hand at it.

1 Like