The new Razer Blade Pro 17 targets designers and artists

Razer’s slim-but-large laptop is the latest 17-inch model to target creative pros.

Laptops for Digital Arts readers are getting bigger it seems. Not much physically bigger – but adding larger screens to relatively small, light chassis. Apple’s 16-inch MacBook Pro began this trend last year – though it only added .4 inches above your average 15.6-inch laptop – but recently Dell resurrected the XPS 17 as its flagship creative laptop.

Razer’s newly updated Razer Blade Pro 17 isn’t much larger than the XPS 17 – 0.78 x 10.24 x 15.5 inches to the XPS 17’s 0.77 x 14.74 x 9.76 inches – and also feature’s Intel’s latest 10th-gen procesors.

For creative pros there’s a model with a 4K, 120Hz screen option with an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080, a higher 400 nits screen with a 3,840 x 1,080 resolution and 100% of the Adobe RGB colour gamut, and 1TB PCIe NVMe storage for £3,799/US$3,799.

There’s also a model for gamers with a 300Hz refresh rate 1080p display. The laptop has Intel’s latest tenth-gen Core i7-10875H processor and Nvidia’s GeForce RTX 2070 or 2080 Max Q for £/$2,599 and £/$3,199 respectively.

The display has a 1920x1080 resolution with 300 nits of brightness and covers 100% of the sRGB colour spectrum.

All models come with 16GB of dual channel DDR4 RAM that you can spec up to 64GB if your demands require it. So yes, this is a serious machine aimed at gamers, designers and game developers.

For a 17in monster there is also no shortage of ports, with Thunderbolt 3, 3x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type A, one USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C, HDMI 2.0b and an SD card slot. You probably won’t need to buy any dongles.

Like 2019’s model there’s a vapour chamber cooling system. Features like this ensure that the laptop is not exactly the definition of portable as they add substantial weight in addition to the chassis’ large size. That said, at least it’s possible to cart it around unlike similarly-specced desktops.

Via

1 Like

Holy cow! Those prices! For a PC???
Actually I just priced a new MacBook and by the time I was done, it was just over $4000.

3 Likes

Is there zero % finance on the Razer like you can get on a Mac? I am also thinking about a laptop for the first time and despite having always been a Mac guy I am keen to explore the options.

2 Likes

I know I’m getting old … but I can’t imagine paying 4 grand for a personal computer. I get that companies do or if you are your own business and can use it as an expense for taxes … but geez.

But, then again I don’t even entertain the thought of spending 600 for a cell phone either.

Maybe I’m just cheap lol :wink:

1 Like

Sometimes it helps to remember that $4K today used to be $1K a few years ago.
Doesn’t help much though.

2 Likes

That’s true :smiley: I try so not to have sticker shock when I see things :wink:

I’ running last years model and couldnt be happier. Always been a desktop user and this is only my second laptop. previously used a macbook pro back in 2011 when they actually filled a hole in the market. Now they’re just good for making a hole in your pocket.

2 Likes

I remember buying my first computer — a Mac II. Add the monitor, a copy of Aldus Freehand and the bill came to about $8000, which, accounting for inflation would be about $15,000 or $16,000 today.

2 Likes

I remember my mom was mad at my dad for almost a whole week when he bought a Mac II. We couldn’t really afford it, but it was the best darned investment in his kids’ education my dad ever made! I could program in Basic years before having to do it for real in college. We had word processing ability in high school. Games were entertaining and affordable on a few weeks allowance. Taught you to save up and make decisions on what was more important, that bag of candy or the new Wizardry game. And since Dad used Visicalc to do his maintenance spreadsheets, we learned databases before they even became a thing. That’s probably why I like Excel for doing all my bidding and large job scheduling.
Right now 4Large is a little too much for me to lay out on a new MacBook. But the Tip Jar is in place for it. It really helps not being able to go out to eat for supper – and 8 weeks of not having to buy gas, that’s been a real boost too.

2 Likes

My first Mac was an SE/30. Pretty sure it was about $3,000 in 1989.

yeah, I actually meant an Apple II. Wasn’t a Mac yet. It was pre-1979, I know that. It was easily $4K even back then.

1 Like

Anybody remember the Power Computing Mac clones? I had one for a short time. It didn’t last very long.

Power-Computing-225-Mac-clone

1 Like

I remember them. I was working at a newspaper at the time and we bought several of them. Then Steve Jobs was rehired at Apple and he cancelled the clone company licensing agreements. I never used one myself, though.

1 Like

I had one. The thing was LOUD. I replaced the fan with one that was supposed to be quieter, and it was, but not by much.

I had forgotten about that, but, now that you mention it, I do seem to remember the noise being a common complaint with those things.