Common sense.

Big picture thinking.

1 Like

Time.

3 Likes

Hair.

My eyesight.

My hearing.

Being able to drink bear and not worry about what it will do to my waistline.

Being able to sleep through the night without having to get up and go to the bathroom.

2 Likes

I used to run about 75 miles each week until stress fractures and knee injuries put an end to it a few years back. My doctor always told me it was stupid to run that much. I should have listened. I switched over to bicycles until a couple of crashes put me in the hospital with shoulder and more knee injuries. I’m telling you, rigorous exercise is dangerous. Now he tells me to take up swimming, which I hate. I’m glad I hate it, though, since staying out of the pool means I won’t drown.

By ‘Time.’ what I mean.

I resonate with Just-B - i used be an avid martial artist. I reminisce often. At the time it was me and all my friends doing it - and the buzz was electric.

I was only 15 or 16 taking it up - before I start I never paid for a lesson in my life - but I earned it. Everyone else was paying £5 later to be €5 an hour.

Anyway.

I used to go to the center where my friends dad was the head coach. I met all my other friends there. We were only 15/16 years of age.

I took it up at 15 - and loved the time with friends. But as time progressed, so did they, and I had not. I thought I could live in this friend bubble all my life. To me it was bliss. Others wanted more, but I was oblivious.

To resonate with Just-B - I used to jog home from work which was 12km - and then eat dinner, jog to training (5km with my gear bag on my back) - I’d train from 6.30pm until to 9pm.

After the 9pm there was another club training (it was Kickboxing not Karate) and they trained from 9.30pm until midnight.
Hey if you’re dedicated…

Well I used to train my arse off - and to top it off me and a friend used to do a 10km run at midnight.

I’d be up at 7am the next morning. And start off with the 12km walk to work - and the constant training from 6.30-pm until about 1am.

But I loved it.

Nowadays, I finish work. Eat dinner. Do a 10km run. Go to bed early. Wake up tired.

What happened?

If I had a step counter back then it would have wound itself back to zero.

I totally relate to this. I’m an avid cyclist. Back in the day, I’d go for a tough ride on a Saturday, come home, mow the grass, and have the energy to stay up until Midnight. Now, I go for a tough ride on a Saturday, come home, take a nap, and, despite having taken a nap, I’m still ready for bed by 10 p.m. That said, I’m a huge believer in the benefits of being physically active — even if it zaps your energy.

I miss life before high blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, this kind of crap.

Great question.

Knowing I can still do things in the future (and not worry about them).

Having no responsibility.

Being young.

1 Like