Top 10 music album covers of 2019 critiqued

152796-igor-2

Cut and paste technique used to created the album cover by Tyler, the Creator, titled IGOR. Bold, and stands out, but forgettable.

137995-when-we-all-fall-asleep-where-do-we-go

Billie Eilish’s album cover for WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? is appropriately crazy. The vignette effect is overdone.

139513-titanic-rising

Weyes Blood’s album Titanic Rising is somewhat surreal which makes it interesting. You can get lost in the details. The production quality is low, but it’s probably intentional.

121870-norman-fucking-rockwell-3

The album cover for Norman Fucking Rockwell! by Lana Del Rey feels like a confusing collage of different styles. The colors are pleasant, but the the intention or message is unclear. Never mind, her music makes up for anything that the graphics may be lacking.

134808-thank-u-next-2

Ariana Grande’s album cover for thank u, next is retro, low-fi and devoid of color. Yet, it manages to be intriguing and sexy. The brevity and artistry should be applauded.

173704-jesus-is-king-3

Kanye West’s JESUS IS KING album cover depicts a vinyl with gold type suggesting quality and traditional musical values. The dominant blue is fresh, and the grooves are hypnotic. It’s unexpectedly understated and inviting.

136584-grey-area

Little Simz’s album GREY Area is fittingly, well, grey. The composition with the artist looking upward towards the camera doesn’t feel particularly creative, but it does serve the purpose of branding the album.

134688-assume-form

There is not much to say about James Blake’s new album cover either. I’m unsure what the black vertical band and holding the understated title Assume Form and the black frame is meant to communicate. Who died?

170523-all-my-heroes-are-cornballs-1

JPEGMAFIA’s album All My Heroes Are Cornballs album cover features the artist sitting in a seemingly freshly renovated attic in an elaborate rope looking rather displeased. If that’s not intriguing enough, look closer to the top left area. There is a computer mouse arrow pointing out some poor finish on the slanted ceiling. I hope the contractor is taking note.

140934-bandana

The last album cover in this top 10 list is beautiful. Bandana by Freddie Gibbs & Madlib features a naive illustration of an apocalyptic scene of LA burning seen from the vantage point of an elderly Winnie the Pooh smoking a joint, sitting on a zebra also smoking a joint, probably found in the abandoned piñata thrown away by the suicidal driver of the pink Cadillac, before driving into the Hollywood sign. Oh well, at least it’s full moon tonight. Brilliantly done.

2 Likes

I’m so out of touch … I’ve never listened to any of these people.

I recognize Grande and Kanye only because of his loud mouth. But, never heard their music other than him trying to sing Queen once … that was quite enough lol :wink:

2 Likes

You are twice as much in touch with pop culture as I am. The only artist I recognize here is Kanye West, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard a song he’s done.

1 Like

Same here. I recognize the name, but wouldn’t recognize him if I saw him. I don’t think I’ve ever heard any of his music.

I didn’t know new music album covers were still being made. What are they covering? Do people still buy CDs? Most everything I listen to now, I just download from Spotify.

1 Like

Covers and in jackets…?

These are only top 10 covers because the artists are trending, not because they are graphically stupendous.

3 Likes

That titanic rising album looks like it was a fun photo shoot

1 Like

Top ten albums, yes not top ten album designs. A diverse set of designs says something at least. Tyler The Creator harks back to the punk era which does not reflect his music but I suppose it’s just retro, a style as good as any. I know of 6 of these artists and would not like to hear any more of at least 4 of them. I will be checking out the other 4 who are new to me.

2 Likes

Kinda agree. Although some of the ideas are really nice!

oh, cool selection, I like it
I like the design of the JESUS IS KING album the most. It looks very cool and stylish. Nothing superfluous, good color types and lightness. I like the word
And I don’t like the JPEGMAFIA All album, I understand that the cover is suitable for the specifics of the album, but in general it’s too confusing. I would like less details

The music and tastes have changed a lot today

1 Like