Trim Lines

I was having a hard time trying to figure out why the OP was not getting it. Yeah, that last cut is a free flapper but it ain’t going anywhere.

Die line, we use the term for CNC cut paths even though we are using a machine rather than a fabricated cutting die. Still goes on a non-printing layer and still needs bleed, goshdarnit. CNC cutting does not just cut off the white. And it leaves fillets on any inside corners unless you are using something thin enough to be knifed rather than routed.
But I stray…

Thank you now i completely understand! You diagram is great lol

Lol, aren’t you splitting hairs a bit? This might be one of those local colloquialisms like in New England they say “pop” instead of coke or soda. I’ve heard it called all sorts of things but Dieline is the name I’ve heard 9 of 10 times.

To me, it’s a clear distinction. I dieline isn’t a dieline unless there’s a die and a die cut involved. A trim with an X-Acto or a guillotine isn’t a die, nor can they make die cuts.

You could be easily be right about this being local terminology thing, though. When I worked at a newspaper, the jargon from one part of the country would differ considerably from another part. When we’d hire a new pressman or printer from New England, for example, some of the terms they were familiar with would mean almost the exact opposite of the meaning we had for them in the western U.S. There was always some care taken to make sure new hires were speaking the same language as the rest of us.

Not disagreeing with you. I know what you mean dude. Different processes require different terminology in order to differentiate them. I totally agree a die is a die is a die and a hydraulic guillotine (scare the crap out of me) is not an X-Acto. But in casual conversation a dieline is understood by most to describe where the “edge” of the art is, no matter the physical process by which it’s done.

Not to me it doesn’t, nor does it match up to how I’ve heard the word used over the past 40 years. Again, though, maybe this is a Utah-specific constraint on the definition. I’m quite sure if I referenced a trim guideline to the local printers I work with as a dieline, they’d immediately question why I needed a die cut on a simple straight trim.

Like you said, though, not disagreeing — just exploring the interesting terminology differences.

My 2 cents, I’ve never called the edge of art a dieline. I’ve always referred to dielines as @Just-B has.

1 Like

OK. I’m wrong. Happy Weekend!

I am actually very impressed with this kind of friendly discussion, unlike some other posters (perhaps who are younger or less experienced), who might get a little heated.

Keep it up.

1 Like

I think we’re saving the heated discussions for things that really matter. It’s sort of hard to get worked up over regional variations in the definition of a word. :wink:

2 Likes

The thing is there are so many ways to do things that often we get into grooves. I really think the most important thing for any profession is to be open and try to learn something new every day. It’s not like I’m going to start saying “Trim Line” but if someone looks at me funny when I say dieline, then I’ll make the distinction.

I’m pretty new here and have gotten into a couple “semi” heated discussions. But I’ve never actually been mad at anyone. It’s just really difficult to understand tone of voice in text, especially if people are disagreeing. It reads like a fight when it’s just a discussion.

1 Like

…but I do give people a hard time if they write something negative for negativity’s sake. Just don’t be a jerk and it’s all good.

1 Like