Typeface Mega Family Offer

I just got this deal in my email. Thought someone might want to avail themselves of it.

164 fonts @ $24 – https://www.mightydeals.com/deal/akwe-pro.html

I’m not saying this is a bad deal because it isn’t as long as it’s clear what’s being offered. Although there are 164 different fonts, it’s 164 variations of the same typeface — Akwe Pro. In other words, it’s a giant typeface family.

These mega typeface families are something of a recent trend in font creation. They’re usually made using old Multiple Masters technologies from back in the late '80s and early '90s.

The type designer typically creates a very light version and a very heavy version, then quickly interpolates multiple in-between weights using font creation software with Multiple Masters capabilities. The same can be done with italics, extended and condensed versions.

In other words, maybe six or eight versions of the typeface design are individually created, then the software creates all the intermediate styles by morphing them into individual fonts.

This is a totally legitimate way to create fonts, but when it’s used to create these crazy-large mega families, it can be just a bit misleading and make buyers think they’re getting more than they really are. In other words, just how many varieties of the same typeface does someone really need?

Again, though, Akwe Pro, is a good typeface design and, as far as I know, it’s well-constructed. And at $24, it’s a great deal. Just be aware that the 164 fonts are variations of the same typeface.

1 Like