Typographic advice

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any useful advice that they would care to give me on the topic.

What advice exactly did you have in mind?

What are some typographic techniques you can use to create a more interesting and engaging booklet for example? How do you appeal to your target audience using typography?

That is far too big a question for a few-line answer.

Learn about the basics of typography, right back to Gutenberg – and lettering before that. You need to develop a love of letterforms and an almost innate understanding of the emotional impact of typefaces. Thread the greats. Tschichold, Morison, Gill, the list is exhaustive.

The was a recent thread asking a similar question which should give you plenty of information. Have a search.

Here’s a list of some type books worth reading, I posted on another thread.

Choose what works for the project, not what you like.
Actually, that goes for all graphic design. All of it.

Arial and Comic Sans.

2 Likes

Only if they work for the project.

Answering that question would require that I summarize the last 40 years of my work with typography, and I’m still not sure I’d be able to answer it.

Hi Angus,
Typography has a great variety and innovation in it. Can you please specify some area of typography where you need advice?
You can share your typographic works here and we can better advise you.

Best

Three factors to consider in pre-production are:
First, identify the purpose of your design.
Second, what is the main medium of your design? Print or screen. Typography is key to setting mood, tone and style in your designs. Serif fonts are generally considered a good choice for body text in print, however, a rule of thumb is to use non-serif fonts for body text on the web.
Third, it’s very important to identify your target audience. important factors of targeting an audience include age, interests, and cultural background, all of which should influences decisions made for your fonts. For instance, some fonts are more appropriate for children, fun, games and evoke pleasant feelings. A good example of this is Mikado which has been designed as a friendly and casual type.
Once you have identified those factors, there are more factors to take into consideration when handling typography. When choosing/making a font, there are two crucial principles to pay attention to: readability and legibility. If you intend your font to be read, then the last thing you want from your reader is difficulty in reading your work. Make it easy and enjoyable for them, not a chore.
Tip:
Legibility is dependent on the typeface design while readability is dependent on the manipulation or handling of the font. A highly legible font can be made unreadable by a designer’s poor typographic design choices. Factors which affect readability include line lengths, font size, leading, font selection, spacing, font pairing, colour and background.
Hope I was able to help your endeavour to learn more about typography.

Usually when people sign up and proceed to immediately post an essay about something, I can do a Google search and find the exact same thing posted in a dozen other locations. It’s either that or a lead-in to an ad of some kind. A Google search turns up nothing, though, so what was your motivation? I mostly agree with what you posted, but was there any particular reason you had for posting it?

It’s been reworded a tad but it’s all here :wink: Maybe Dylan wrote the original article?