Welcome To The Dark Side

Some love it … and some don’t :wink:

3 Likes

I have preferences on this subject that I’ve never heard anyone else express. I’d rather have daylight saving time in the winter to prolong the light an hour more, but I’d rather have standard time in the summer so that I get to enjoy a little cool nighttime air before it’s time to sleep.

In other words, the current time changes are exactly backward from how I’d like them.

1 Like

We’re ahead of you in going backwards!

We went back the hour last week. I hate it. It’s one of those, ‘that’s it, bloody winter’s here again’.

Nooooo. Methinks your summers are a tiny bit warmer than ours. Here that would be an anathema. I’d much rather summertime hours stayed throughout the year. I’d prefer it stayed lighter longer. I hate evenings drawing in.

2 Likes

Tis grand I’m out walking/running with doggy at 5 or 6 in the morning. Lately Abit later. It’s getting bright closer to 7.

Don’t care it’s darker earlier. Although with energy crisis I do notice neighbours are lighting candles more.

1 Like

Quite literally, a return to the dark ages!

1 Like

I don’t know why. Candles are expensive.

I am more into the slow cooker now and put the heating on if necessary.

I don’t know why, bills aren’t that bad, at least for me.

But since being a bit fickle with energy and heating I’ve topped up the savings account by an extra 200 a month.

Not so bad. Might go for a 3rd holiday next year my new found wealth.

1 Like

This morning, I read an article on CNN’s website quoting supposed sleep experts on why daylight saving time is bad for one’s health.

1 Like

But, doesn’t everything ruin our health? LOL :wink:

3 Likes

Beer doesn’t!

3 Likes

Maybe it does, but the pleasure it gives (let alone regrets) makes it all worthwhile.

1 Like

3 Likes

That CNN thing is a crock of…
An hour one way or another isn’t going to ruin your health. They tried to use that argument to get the highschoolers starting later in the day so their growing bodies could get more sleep (I think it was more the teachers’ unions not wanting to start their day at 7am cuz the buses didn’t want to be picking up the elementary kids in the dark.)

If they decide to go to Standard time all the time, in the summer I am just going to have to start work an hour earlier to get that extra long evening to go fishing after work. Things are flexible enough to do that these days. We already have a split shift that I’d love to get onto to get out at 2pm but sadly that is when a lot of our clients suddenly remember they need something printed…
I love that extra hour at night in the summer.

This seems oddly less relevant now we are all working across multiple timezones.

2 Likes

The more I think on it, the more I find I guess I just don’t care.
I’ll care even less when I retire. Up with the sun, bed when I’m tired (which is pretty much how vacay and weekends work now)

As I (too) often mention, I grew up on a ranch/farm. The clock didn’t matter; we got up just before sunrise and called it quits in the evening. In the spring and summer, the work never stopped. Irrigation, for example, was often best done during the night. Cattle and sheep don’t time their calving and lambing for convenient hours either.

Now that I’m working from home on my own, I seem to be reverting back to that clock-doesn’t-matter schedule.

My wife is vision-impaired. She still sees well enough to drive in daylight, but struggles during this time of year in particular. Both low sun during the daylight hours, and of course darkness after dusk, keep her out of the driver’s seat. The clock change signals this time of year when a significant portion of her independence is lost, and the psychological effects are not good.

1 Like

We’ve been out of town for a few days staying at an indoor water park. Everything was pretty much self-contained, so I have not yet noticed how early it will be getting dark. I think I’m in for a rude awakening in about an hour and a half.

It’s not the clock changes that bother me. It’s the general amount of decreased daylight that comes with the approaching winter solstice. Here in Los Angeles, we get 14:25 hours of sunlight on June 21, and 9:53 on Dec 21.

1 Like

Move south?