What are these inspiratation called repectively?

Hey, I have lots of references and now I need new references, the issue I don’t know the reference which I have is called? I am sharing pictures of different references images so that anyone of you tell me what each reference it is called? Below are the references thanks in advance:

What we call them doesn’t matter. What matters is if you are insisting on keeping a morgue of references this way, give them keywords that you would use to describe them, more than one, so if you really have to, you can easily search through them using descriptive keywords, rather than remember a style name that you won’t remember in a pinch.
Waste of time really, but if that’s what you want to do, have at it.

1 Like

So how do you guy search for references? What is the process of searching the references?

Each job is specific.
Are you asking what keywords we’d use to search for art like that if we needed to?

1 Like

Are you asking what keywords we’d use to search for art like that if we needed to?

Yes

Everyone works in different ways, I suppose, but I don’t typically search for references on the internet for things I design. Sometimes when I’m stuck, I’ll thumb through books I own to jar my head into a different way of thinking by loosening up some of the parameters I’ve boxed myself into. However, when I’m working on something specific, I don’t try to find examples others have done of that same kind of thing.

2 Likes

How can I get this type of abilty? Like you don’t need the references for anything but I am quite opposite I required references and often I don’t get reference I want in those cases your approach might be handy for me.

As you can see - there are different approaches to finding references and gathering inspiration.

I you’re relying heavily on references for your work that’s absolutely fine - as per above.

Having references can be essential. Usually, when starting a project I create a ‘mood board’ of sorts.

I create a new document - in whatever program you like
I’ll take their brief and write it out in bullet points.
I take their existing material and plan it out on a page or two.
Then I examine their competition - what do they do in this space.
Then find similar pieces of the client and the competition and put them side by side.

You might notice themes appearing, colours, fonts, sizes, imagery etc.

Now you have 5 or 6 page document that outlines your goals for the project (including what they like and don’t like items), what they have at the moment, what the competition is doing - and how they compare.

And then a summary of similarities, images/fonts/styles etc.
What the client is doing well and what the competition is doing well.
And equally, what each do badly (or could do better).

Building this mini-document of comparison shouldn’t take less than an hour. And when you’re stuck or create something you can refer to your document to see if you’re sticking to your findings.
As time goes on you will become more familiar with various design elements, techniques, and styles. This knowledge will gradually enable you to create without relying solely on references.

However, if you still find yourself needing references, there are a few strategies you can consider.

Gather and orgainse references in a way that works for you
(I think you’re already doing this)

Use lots of sources, and don’t rely solely on the internet.
It’s often said on here, don’t sit at the computer, go for a walk, sit in the park, and think for an hour. Other things to do are libraries, bookshops, and magazine racks. Take a notepad and pen and make notes, sketches, etc.

Don’t just take a reference and say that’s amazing I’m gonna do that. DON’T DO THIS.
Analyse, study, deconstruct.
Over time you’ll end up relying less on references as a direct inspiration.

Don’t look at the references - try to recreate them with pencil and paper without actually looking at them. Then take your sketches - turn them over - don’t look at them - and recreate them on the computer.
Compare your results from the reference to your sketch to your computer creation.

There’s no right or wrong way to approach the creative process. Different individuals have different methods that work for them. It’s important to find what works best for you and adapt your approach as you continue to grow and evolve as a designer or artist.

1 Like

When searching for references, be as specific as possible. Use specific keywords or phrases that describe the subject you’re looking for. For example, if you’re looking for a reference for an “oil painting,” use those exact words in your search. And remember to Don’t limit yourself to one search engine. Different search engines may return different results, so it’s a good idea to use multiple ones to get a broader range of references. In some cases, it’s helpful if you use image search: Many search engines have an image search feature that allows you to upload an image and find similar images. This can be helpful if you have a specific image in mind and want to find similar references.

1 Like