What do you prefer WordPress or Joomla?

Hello,

I need to create a website for my online shop but I have no experience.

How do you think what will be easier for beginner WordPress or Joomla?

Thanks for your reply,

Curly

1 Like

I prefer WordPress. However, given that you have no experience, I’d strongly suggest you look into more of a canned solution like Shopify.

1 Like

Easiest for beginners and most designers is WordPress, which is why I suspect it’s so popular.

However, I greatly prefer Joomla for several dozen different reasons and will always use it unless the client specifically requests WordPress.

The main reason I dislike WordPress is because, beneath the surface, it’s blogging software that’s been adapted, twisted and coerced to do more than blogging. Despite it’s malleability, whenever I need to design something in it, that whole blog-like underpinning is a constant annoyance that places limits on what I’d like to do.

Joomla, despite its relative complexity and learning curve, does not have this problem — it’s built for more general purpose websites. Oddly enough, I’m working on a Joomla site now where the client has a small portion of the site in which they want to have a blog. Joomla itself isn’t ideally suited for blogging and requires add-ons for that, so I added a WordPress component inside Joomla, which sort of works, but I’m really hating it. I’m still looking for a better solution.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply, its really helpful.

Thank you for your detailed reply, I have to think about it.

Where do you usually buy WP themes? Can you recommend
a website?

There are other sources, but those two are good places to start for an ecommerce theme.

1 Like

Another bothersome but important consideration in all this is that many templates are built using frameworks. Frameworks are, for lack of a better way of describing them, software that augments the CMS of choice (WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, etc.) and provides additional capabilities not present within the CMS.

In some cases a framework becomes, in essence, a CMS-like entity itself that exists within the larger CMS. One of the more popular frameworks for Joomla, for example, is Gantry 5. If you buy a theme from Rocket Themes, all their themes and templates are built upon a Gantry framework that is almost as complicated to learn as WordPress or Joomla itself since it provides lots of additional possibilities to the parent CMS (while also imposing frustrating restrictions on what’s easily modifiable within the template or theme). It even has a separate admin panel that exists within the parent CMS’s admin panel.

What I’m really saying is it’s often more complicated than just learning WordPress and buying a theme to modify. They’re all different, so don’t just make a decision based on how it looks. Really research what you’re buying to find out the pros and cons of actually using it and whether or not it and its complexity and built-in capabilities match up to both your needs and your technical expertise.

1 Like

I think Shopify is the best eCommerce platform. It’s designed to help people build their own, scalable online store and with it you can get hundreds of built-in features, and tons of apps for any online store development.

1 Like

Well from my own experience id recommend Wordpress, i use this daily and i havent been disappointed. Maybe youll have to look it up in the beginning but it pays off :slight_smile:

Choosing the best CMS can be a difficult decision, mostly because they are all good choices. However, even though the platforms are incredibly similar, there are some differences that’ll probably swing you one way or the other.

WordPress is probably the most popular CMS on the market.

Joomla is a little bit more complex than WordPress. You have to understand all the functions and it takes a little bit of time.

It is used for E-Commerce and Social Networking Websites. Free Joomla Themes in limit and in WordPress there is a wide range of WordPress Themes.

Joomla is Award-Winning CMS and it takes around 10 minutes to install.

WordPress has a 60.8% market share in the CMS market. WordPress powers 14.7% of the world’s top websites. That is the reason WordPress is the best.

I might dispute your figures just a little, but not by much.

As you mentioned, WordPress has a 60-some percent CMS market share. On the other hand, the percentage of large businesses using WordPress is much lower. (You’re saying 14.7% for “top websites”.)

Within those figures, however, lies evidence regarding the pros and cons of WordPress.

If a designer feels comfortable with WordPress, wants to start with a pre-made theme, and if the client feels comfortable with WordPress and doesn’t need customized functionality, WordPress might be the best CMS for the job.

However, I wouldn’t recommend WordPress for mid-sized to large companies with needs that depend on customized development. Instead, something like Drupal, Joomla, Magento might be best. Situationally, there are specialized solutions, such as OU Campus or Hugo, for particular niche customers. A fully customized JSP web application might even be the best option.

In other words, there’s no one-size-fits-all best solution. Every best website and platform solution is specific to the job at hand. Going back to the OP’s original question about what’s best for beginners, WordPress is probably the easiest, most straight-forward and most popular solution. It’s definitely a step up from Wix, Weebly, or something like that.

I think If you are just starting out you can go with marketplaces like ThemeForest, Template Monster, etc
Or else, If you are planning for the long term you can go with WordPress. I’d suggest WordPress because the interface of WordPress is easy.

I prefer the WordPress. It’s convenient and basic so even if you find difficulties during the process of creating your website, you’ll find any answer or even tutorials online.

4 year old thread …

lilzombie