What drawing course would you reccomend?

Hello GDF, another wanna be designer here. Can’t help it, it comes back again and again😁What drawing online toutorial would you recommend for my first baby steps? Did you learn drawing from a book or preffered online tutorials? Thanks a lot!!!

I mostly learned how to draw from thousands of hours of practice since I was a little kid. As for formal training, there were four years of life drawing, illustration, sketching and painting classes in college. Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain is, I think, the best book available. I have no experience with online drawing courses.

1 Like

I’m excited to see if any good resources come out of this post. I am taking a sketching for design class next semester, but it would be great to get a head start.

I can relate to it being difficult to find a place to start. I’m a visual learner so it’s easier for me to visually see examples and tutorials rather than just grabbing a pencil, and sketching random stuff.

1 Like

Thank you so much for a quick reply! The book has a lot of exercises for beginners too, such a great tip! Also thank you your honest answer well… I wish I could go back to school years…but I can’t. Now I can only self taught from the web. I like minimalism and I want to design clean infographics…before discovering designer tools, want to see if I “have it” if you know what I mean :wink: So I guess it starts from learning drawing and reading books about basic fundamentals of design.

I’m picture thinking and like to see examples first. This book has a well written theory too. I wonder how good are online tutorials

The most important thing about the book DOTRSotB is not to skip exercises, no matter how dumb you think they are. That book got me up to speed enough to ace the college entrance portfolio review.
As far as I’m concerned, knowing how to draw is an essential for a designer. You need to know how to “see” things in an inter-related way, not just in drawing what you see, but also in designing layouts that capture the eye of the viewer. It doesn’t hurt to understand the many aspects of drawing when doing photoshop work either.

I would also echo the recommendation of the Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain book. My junior high and high school didn’t have art classes but I took some drawing classes from a local artist on the side. I would say that for me, the class in college that improved my drawing skills the most was figure drawing. Probably the main reason was that it forced me to get comfortable working at a faster pace.

The biggest drawback with being self taught is you don’t get the feedback and critique from an instructor or peers. It can be easy to fall into bad habits and poor techniques.