What is the best PC for Adobe programs?

Ooo, the Twitter version.

I hate the Mac Is and especially the Finder.
It’s awful.

I don’t particularly care about what OS I use. The programmes work the exact same.

But the best you can afford. If you want to waste money on a Mac then go for it. You can buy the PC equivalent for half the price.

The only reason to pick one over the other is if some software specific or fonts or something similar.

You won’t see many sign makers buying a Mac as the software some of them still use is a Windows only software.

1 Like

Funny, I feel exactly the same about windows. I guess it comes down to what you are used to. For me, Mac rarely gets in the way, whereas, from my less exhaustive experience Windows did nothing but get in the way.

I use a PC and a Mac for my work, depending on which office I’m working in. There is zero difference for using the Adobe Suite or many other standard apps. PC fonts work on the Mac and (usually) vice versa. I use them every day.

Windows and the Mac OS are just user interfaces. The operating system is DOS / UNIX. I don’t know anyone who knows about that stuff who would seriously suggest that DOS is in any way superior to UNIX.

Yes the Mac can cost more for the same spec, although this can be difficult to compare precisely. Not double the price, ever. And Yes it can sometimes be like using a Ferrari to go grocery shopping.

If you can build one yourself you can get a superb PC tailored exactly to your needs, and it will be upgradeable as component specs improve. I wish I could do that and I can’t, but if I could I would install some flavour of Unix on it as the operating system.

I’ve used Macs and PCs for 25 years.

I originally had a home PC - nobody bought a Mac for home use. We originally had a Spectrum 48k. Then a sega mega drive, then my Dad bought a PC.

It was fine - never heard of Mac or Apple - it wasn’t for home use, people and businesses bought PCs - people doing design work were buying Macs, as they were more powerful and suited to the task at the time.

I did a computer course in the local community centre when I was 11 - I already had solid knowledge of coding in Basic and Q Basic.

I wrote a programme on the Spectrum 48K to draw a country flag (which I got from phone book) and had a tape somewhere of national anthems, I matched them up.

The program allowed you to select the country and it would draw the flag while playing the national anthem using a serious of beeps.

It was great fun.

Anyway - I had a head start ont the class and the programming was a cinch to me back then. But it’s far more complicated now.

I started on the macs about 25 years ago and they were great. Far better for design work than a PC - PCs were home and office then.

But now - in the last 25 years all the Macs I’ve used - the OS and the spinning beach ball - and going just 6 or 7 folders deep causes the whole system to lag.
It’s not just this Mac - it’s every Mac I have ever used.

I’ve repaired and swapped parts in more Macs in my lifetime than I have with a PC.

I can’t stand Apple’s pricing - I think it’s a rip-off. But they get away with it.

Buy a PC with the same specs as an Apple computer and you’ll easily save half the money.
Easily.

I find Windows to be great - I find the operating system easier to navigate and I find the Windows Explorer far better than a Mac.

Even if it’s just to copy and paste a file location and navigation in general.

My experience of Windows is nowhere near as exhaustive, but when I have, it has been nothing but trouble. That said, it is also, a good few years old now. I have to say, some of the things that have been said here have made me waiver a little, as I am likely to be buying a new one this year at some point. That said, some of the software I use is OS X only, so I will probably stick. I entirely agree, Apple are taking the piss, royally, with their pricing. I hate the fact they they were once the disruptors and now, they are the establishment and have become everything were not previously. Corporate, shareholder-led, etc.

It’s tough when you get stuck in the Apple EcoSphere - it’s hard to get out of.
That’s why I don’t buy Apple products.

The price is baffling. I know people who buy the latest iPhone as soon as it’s released - why? You bought the smartphone in the world only 18 months ago… why do you need to upgrade?

Honestly have a Samsung Galaxy S7 and it works perfectly. I bought my wife the S21 for her birthday - I don’t see any notable difference, somethings are a bit faster - so I have to wait for a few more seconds from time to time.

I got wireless earbuds - they work with any Phone/tablet - I even have them as a Bluetooth device on my TV - and were half the price Apple charge for theirs.

I could go on.

Damn, a platform debate that doesn’t even need my usual anti-Apple contribution. 'Bout frikkin time.

1 Like

I don’t actually own a phone … well, apart from a very non-smart £10 Nokia that goes in the car if we go anywhere. When I am not at work, I don’t want to be constantly contactable. The sad thing is, I can see a time when I’ll have to have one. More and more things require them. Even if I do, it will likely end up in a drawer with a flat battery and used only when I NEED it. I definitely don’t want something following me around, knowing exactly where I am and what I am doing all the time. Besides, I can tell them where I am … in front of this iMac most of the time!!

I am definitely with you on the peripheral thing. Last week I wanted to add another screen to another iMac and didn’t have a spare connector. Apple wanted £30. I got a different make (probably made in the same factory) for £6.99. Works fine.

Indeed - but the topic is
What is the best PC for Adobe programs?

Oh I think I’ve heard of that before. Never needed it - the closest I’ve come is setting controls on my CPU cores so my fractal program doesn’t decide it gets to use all of the processor to render indefinitely more complex flames. That was a fun experiment.

1 Like

Maybe the only context here was price, I dunno, but I’m not necessarily arguing with the analogy.

Perceptions are funny though. I’ve always seen Apple products and the Mac OS as toylike and short-featured; more comparable to Fisher-Price than Ferrari.

Funny you should ask… I just configured and ordered my new pc. I did tons of research and came up with what everyone else is saying. I was able to get an HP with 16 gigs of RAM, i7 processor, Iris GPU, but came up short on storage at 250 gigs. My solution to that was to purchase an external drive with 2TB. All told, it came in at around $700. It sounds good but we’ll see when it gets here.
Personally, I believe it’s not how much money you spend but whether you get what you need to get the job done. The only reason I upgraded from my current laptop was video editing.it just didn’t have enough bang for the buck.
I use PSD for graphic work. I’ve used Rush and Premiere Pro but have finally settled on Filmora for video because of cost. I really like Adobe programs but I have a real problem paying all the subscription fees.

Any signmaker that wants to make money interfaces to Adobe.
The signwares are all PC only but files 99.9% of the time come from someone using Adobe.
And if you are sending a sign guy something with live fonts that are mac or PC specific, you are doing it wrong.

Completely disagree with their list. Absolutely 100% disagree.

Zombie posting … Closing!