What is your opinion about my portrait?

Hey friends, I have started drawing vector cartoon portraits of people from their photos. I use Illustrator, no filters… I would like to know how others find my work. So, Please please please… feel free to criticize or give me suggestions for improvement.

Portrait

I like your work.
The only thing that jumps out is the advertising on the sunglasses. The word “Image” has become a focal point of the art. The same would go for if the guy was wearing a plaid shirt. You wouldn’t render it as plaid or the pattern would detract from the subject of the portrait. That was a very early art lesson I learned from an uncle who was a commercial artist.
Is there a market for this?
I’m not so sure, but if you can make it work, good for you.

1 Like

I must admit this is a good illustration. My reaction is more on the philosophical side. What I see is a showcase of what the computer can do, but it does not tell me what the artist can do.

I understand “Practice makes perfect”. In time, I am sure you’ll develop your personal style. Meanwhile: Good work.

1 Like

the expression works, which is the most important aspect of characters
his ears should be simple with less lines less contour less colors
the hairline should be more gradient between the 2 skin colors like the cheeks
but i am nitpicking, over-all good reproduction.

@Eriskay:
My friend takes previous photos of sports dudes and re-ipads them, she is cute so everyone loves her work and never doubts her creative skill or originality, which is slim.
mine gets pushed aside too much, this is the 21 century i guess.

@ computers
i still don’t know what vector means, and i use that quite often
rasterize is another term that i use at least 7 times a day, i have no idea how to explain either one.

1 Like

This looks pretty good to me. I like the shading you put in the hair.

1 Like

Nice!

Creating this kind of organic artwork with vector shapes can be challenging, but what you’ve done looks great. I’m wondering how easily the technique can be applied to other portraits that might not lend themselves so easily to simplification.

1 Like

That’s the art part of this. Being able to apply the simplification when it might not actually be there. A lot of this type of art tends to rely on Illustrator’s Live Trace as an under-template. Not saying that is the case here, but it would require artistic talent to render a not-so-hot photo in this fashion.

It still strikes me as a (very simple) paint-by-number impression. This was a trend not so long ago. Just not sure it still is, or if there is a market for it.

1 Like

Consider, say, Mort Drucker. He captures the likeness of his subjects, that’s the easy part. Every pen stroke that he makes screams Mort Drucker. Now, that’s sheer talent and practice.

2 Likes

i used to redraw his Mad posters, like this one.

2 Likes

@aristopromo I quite like it. I’ve seen many attempts on this forum over the years and most miss the mark in my opinion. But this is quite nice. Well done. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good one
But I noticed the nose in the new photo looks bigger
Try to make it smaller like the original image

1 Like

Artistic license. Otherwise a photograph would suffice.

1 Like

Thank you so much, guys, for appreciating my artwork, and also for giving me suggestions for improvement. I will try to develop a unique style to draw a portrait. :slightly_smiling_face: This is just a beginning!

2 Likes

It’s great, but as you practice. You’ll learn new stuff. What I’d suggest you is try to be more experimental with colors.

1 Like

Thank you all for your replies. :slight_smile: I have worked on my skill and have (hopefully) improved my vector cartoon portrait drawing technique. Here is my another work of a person:

1 Like

the neck needs a line from the chin to the supersternal notch are of the upper torso.
the left eyeball white need to match the eyeball location and moved towards the left a smidgen.
everything else looks very good.

1 Like

I agree. A little (not a lot, necessarily) understanding of human anatomy, drawing perspectives, light sources etc. will help.

I like your work. :grinning:

1 Like

You brought smile to my face by saying so! Thank you so much for liking my work.

Thank you so much for pointing out the areas I need to improve. The picture I got was not very detailed so making a vector portrait out of it was a challenging work for me. But yeah, I need to be know the human anatomy, as my friend Eriskay mentioned, to add what is missing in the real photograph.