What to post on social media as a graphic designer

Hi, I’m a graphic designer that specialize in visual identity in the music business. I do everything from making band logos, merch and cover art to taking press photos and sometimes concert photos. I do take on other less relevant projects as well, but this is what I have established as my main focus and build my business identity around.

Do you have any thoughts on what I can share on social media except for the finished projects and BTS? I see a lot of graphic designers that share design tips and process. However I want to make sure that I reach my core audience – the musicians and the music/entertainment industry.

Any thoughts are very welcome!

If you want to blog or vlog and reach a music audience, maybe do some interviews with band members you’ve worked with. Not ‘golly wow’ interviews but nuts and bolts of why branding is so important to their work.

1 Like

Working in music gives you a natural content advantage — album artwork stops the scroll, so lean into that. A few formats that tend to work well beyond finished projects and BTS:

  1. Process breakdowns — a carousel or short reel going from first sketches or reference boards to the final cover, explaining the thinking behind each choice. Musicians love seeing the why, not just the result.
  2. Alternate concepts — share the versions that didn’t make it and say why the chosen one won. It shows craft and decision-making, which is exactly what a potential client wants to see.
  3. Micro case studies — one project, a few slides: the brief, the idea, the rollout across cover art, merch and press shots.
  4. Short opinion pieces — trends in music branding, type choices on current album covers, merch design mistakes. It positions you as someone with taste, not just skills.
  5. Collaborator spotlights — credit the musicians, photographers and printers you work with and tag them. Their audience becomes your audience.

One rule of thumb that keeps me consistent: make every post teach or entertain one small thing. If a musician learns something from your reel, they’ll remember you when they need artwork.

For social media LinkedIn is the best way to show your portfolio. LinkedIn is a good place where recruits can see your stuff (but remember they are scammers too).