What was graphic design called before 1922?

I read that the term “graphic design” was coined in 1922. What was it called before that? Graphic arts? Just curious what the name of the profession was for someone who worked in typography, graphic layout, etc.

Thanks!

Commercial artist.

1 Like

William Gaines of Mad magazine was born. Coincidence? I think not.

2 Likes

I don’t think it really existed. There were sign painters, illustrators, craftsmen, printers, type designers and people who had a knack for making things look good. I don’t think there was anything like a named profession that specialized in 2-dimensional design. Instead, it was something that various people did in addition to other things. Printing technology was awfully limited back then and layouts were limited by what was possible with the existing technology and by the tradesmen and printers who were trained on the job in using the tools.

1 Like

Well I was a sign painter in the 70’s and 80’s and my instructor was around in the 30 and he never mentioned anything about titles like graphic designer or desktop publisher. He used to call everyone a craftsman or artist. Now I’m a web designer and the variations and titles are in the hundreds. UX Designer, UI Designer, Application Designer, Desktop Publisher, so go figure. It’s all about the same thing making content look good and getting attention.

2 Likes

©2019 Graphic Design Forum | Contact | Legal | Twitter | Facebook