What's the best logo you've ever seen? Why?

It is definitely subjective. IMO it can come down to a few different interpretations. You could interpret a best logo as one that is successful from a standpoint that it is so recognizable and memorable, such as the Coca Cola logo or the McDonald’s logo. Or you could interpret it as the best logo from a standpoint that you feel that it is just extremely well designed. It’s well balanced, it works well in multiple applications, it’s perhaps clever or unique, etc.

Case in point. The McDonald’s logo isn’t particularly the pinnacle of design, however, it could be argued that it is one of the best because so many people around the world instantly recognize it and its simplicity makes it hugely scalable, whether as an app thumbnail, or a huge 3 dimensional roadside sign.

I also feel the same with the simplicity and weight of the Target logo here in the US. Ridiculously simple, especially the “target” on its own. And yet it is instantly recognizable.

Logos to me are just face of brand. It’s the product that matters.
I don’t like the Dunkins logo (certainly not the color combination) but I do like their coffee.
I don’t particularly like the Starbucks logo for all it presumptuous “evolution” over the years either, but I’ll drink their mocha frappaccinos.

If I’m at Home Depot looking for a particular yard tool, I might look for the bright green colored stuff that’ll fit my Ryobi batteries, or if a work tool the red and black colored stuff to fit my Black and Decker batteries. The logos? Meh.

I save “favorites” for other things. Like Food. Lobster qualifies as a favorite.

I said at the very start, I don’t.

Of course. My point, if it matters, was that it (the measure of a logo’s appeal and effect), is not only subject to personal tastes, preferences, and perceptions, but also to varying (even from moment to moment) situational conditions in environment, context, and presentation.

Fair enough - to each their own. :relaxed:

Another one of my absolute +++personal+++ favorites is the Toblerone logo.

I love how it fits so perfectly on the triangular packaging, with just the right length and the mountain reinforcing the triangle shape:

And while the mountain perfectly matches the Matterhorn…

…what really blew my mind was when someone pointed out the bear inside the logo:

3 Likes

I can’t remember the company name. My first job in the printing industry was in the sample dept filling sample requests and making print sample packs. There was a stationery pack that was three red dots embossed to register. I never understood the logo. Until a few years later it hit me like a freight train it was braille. Being a really young guy just entering the industry I thought it was genius. Still do. That was 35 years ago. That being said I am not a designer. Willy runs back to the den.

1 Like

I do like eating them. Known about bear for years. Its meh…