What's wrong with crossbars?

I don’t know about you guys, but one of my pet peeves is when designers remove the crossbar from a capital “A” on a logo for no aparent reason. I can’t name how many times I’ve seen this done - but it happens way too often!

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a time and place for ommiting the crossbar where it’s totally appropriate, designs that come to mind are NASA’s classic “worm” logo:

However when designers do this in a context where it’s misaligned with the brand, it activates the OCD designer in me :exploding_head:. I can only speculate that when they do it, they’re thinking: “Man, getting rid of the crossbar this will make the design look so unique!”

Am I totally alone on this, or have you guys have noticed this too?

/end rant

2 Likes

I’m not sure I’ve ever thought about it.

I’m sure other examples exist, but the only ones I can think of are NASA and AVANTE. Do you have others you think are inappropriate?

1 Like

It is unnecessary but can be aesthetically pleasing if done correctly. It can cause some problems for Greek people because an ‘A’ without a crossbar is basically a Greek capital Lambda.

2 Likes

Not of any big-name brands. However it’s something I notice a lot in ametuer logo design and more concerningly have seen a few vehicles signwritten with branding that features it, where it feels out of place (at least to me!) - don’t have any great examples off hand.

Totally agree, I think it’s all about context, I guess it seems overused :thinking:

Ha! :smiley: With a snowstorm raging outside right now, I decided to look forward to this next summer and reserve a spot at a favorite mountain campground. Here’s the logo I found on the reservation website.

3 Likes

:laughing:

Perhaps it’s one of those things that once you see it, you can’t stop seeing it everywhere.

I recall seeing a few here and there.

jiva

2 Likes

Never thought about it either, but gotta admit seeing this a lot nowadays. For me it’s more still being afraid of to much whitespace (feels incomplete), so it triggers me in an other way then it does to you.

And I was just looking into ink traps while reading another topic on the forum :wink: when I bumped into this:

Screenshot 2021-12-29 141740

Alto they do refer to the greek and I kinda like the inktrap as it seems one of those illusion pictures when you look to long at it :smiley:

(hi, have been a lurker a long time, and thought: lets mingle into this :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

I don’t think those qualify as inktraps, LOL!
More like s-ink holes!

1 Like

Welcome noortje! :slight_smile:

1 Like

:sweat_smile: lol.
Got there thru an article, prob read it wrong too :stuck_out_tongue:

thnx!

I remember when I was a young teenager playing around with type, I actually used to do things like this (and other cringeworthy stuff :grimacing:). I think having the restraint to know when to stop tinkering with something and leave it alone, is often underrated in design

1 Like