Which Is Best: Windows or Mac?

Of course you still need to buy monitor - but it’s a one time cost.
And if the screen goes it isn’t as expensive to prelace.

And if a part goes in the Desktop, any part, not just RAM, you can easily replace it, ssd, hd, ram, graphics card, etc. it’s all upgradable/fixable.

Or you could buy a Mac Mini with comparable specs and a separate 27" monitor for around the same price as the PC you just quoted.

You keep dragging this out as though it’s all about price and hardware. For some, I suppose it is. For others, like me, it has less to do with the hardware and far more to do with the differences in the operating system.

2 Likes

It never ends … this particular thread has been going on almost a year :wink:

We used to just shut this topic down.

whacky

Coming soon - my next system is a Mac mini with a 32" touchscreen. I think everything will work ok with it…

Woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

Hang on a damn minute here - it was asked!
I obliged.

Do you have a problem with that???

I’ve never understood the bickering over the two. Like @Just-B I’m a mac user mainly for the OS.

To me, it’s like arguing between car company preferences. Or restaurant preferences. The bottom line is people prefer quite a few things in their life over a different brand or company. IMO, best is subjective. Best could be argued based on price, based on comfort with the OS, based on first hand experience, etc.

I often jokingly say to friends and co-workers on occasion any time there is an opinion where someone may like or dislike something, “How dare you like (or dislike) something I dislike (or like)?!”

Bottom line, pick what works best for you. Mac works “best” for me. I’m assuming PC works best for @Smurf2.

It reminds me that about a year ago my boss (a designer) who has always generally been a PC person got a macbook. It took him several months to wrap his head around the OS and adapt. However, at the end of the corporate lease I expect he will switch back to PC. Not because he can’t get his job done with the Mac, but because he prefers Windows OS.

So, to wrap up. I’d say there is no “best”. There is simply preference and opinion, but as RKK said, these sorts of threads have been around for decades. There are always proponents and opponents to both sides. Some, like my boss, may occasionally switch. Some may even remain “switched”, but at the end of the day a Mac or a PC does not do your job for you. It is a tool that we all use to create with. Instead we should be more defined by what we can do, not for what computer we use to do it.

1 Like

Nobody is bickering - it was asked!

Neither work for me. They are both the same. I work on both. Both have pros and cons.

I couldn’t care less if I worked on the PC or Mac full time.

There’s no difference.

The bickering comment was directed to the thread and every PC/Mac discussion as a whole.

Bickering as in general “back and forth”. I see that it can come across as a loaded statement or somewhat judgmental. That wasn’t the intent.

Thanks - no issues.

No, I don’t have a problem with you responding to questions. I should have worded my post more carefully, so here’s another attempt.

You’ve focused on hardware, prices, specs — not just in your recent posts but as a matter of propensity. Comparing the attributes and disadvantages of hardware is, of course, important, but comparing Windows to the Mac OS involves more than hardware.

Hardware prices and specs are, of course, considerations when choosing computers. They’re especially relevant when comparing the vast number of choices for machines that run Windows instead of the limited Apple line-up.

Even though the Intel Macs will run Windows natively (ignoring the M1 chip for now), I would not typically suggest buying a Mac to run only Windows. This would be a bit silly since comparable hardware exists for Windows that is less expensive than Apple’s.

However, for some, the Mac OS and Windows differences make the relative lack of Macintosh hardware choices and the extra cost worth it.

To summarize, my point is that comparing Macs to Windows machines involves more than hardware comparisons. Equally important, and often more important, is one’s preference or need for one operating system over the other, and those preferences and needs will differ from one person to another and from one workplace to the next.

Well, that’s likely because there’s no good reason for it. In fact, despite my hatred of such off-the-cuff statistics, I’d say that at least 90% of users graviate toward the OS they happened to learn first. And, I’d bet at least half of that 90% (really I suspect it’s almost all of them) didn’t choose which OS they’d go on to learn first. Of course there are always exceptions, but I believe OS preference to be largely a result of happenstance.

But as someone who has engaged in such debates more times than I’d care to count, I can confidently say the bickering often doesn’t start until someone says something ridiculous. In my experience, that’s rarely the Windows defender. And you know you’ve all seen it right here in this forum; a first time poster says “…starting in graphic design, so Mac or Windows?” Inevitably someone answers to the effect: “Mac is must-have.”

Yeah no, it isn’t. That’s the rudimentary (and most common) example of actively propagating misconception for no defensible reason whatsoever. Then there’s: “Mac is just better . . . because a Mac just has some certain intangible something about it.” Ugh. But maybe the worst one is, “It just works.” That one gets me every time.

I make no secret of the fact that I’ve never used an Apple product that I ended up liking. I don’t like the way the company does business, and I consider Steve Jobs to have been a rather ordinary man. None of that means I’m in love with Windows or computers that run it. Windows was just the OS I learned first, but even if I had learned the Mac OS first, and preferred it, I’d feel no different about Apple.