Which one ? (esport mascot)

Well, to be fair, it’s only the organ intro.

You heard of Proco Harum??!

I certainly have. I think I might remember watching them on Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert (or the Midnight Special; easy to cross the two up).

More memorably, back in some day or other quite a few years later, I awoke from a substance-related lost-time incident to hear AWSOP playing somewhat faintly. The level of disorientation was profound, and to this day I involuntarily associate that song with the bizarre and irreconcilable sensation I had. Vexing.

I first heard of Poco Harum from The Big Chill.

I was in secondary school when it first came out. It would have gone right by me but for a strong recommendation by a local DJ. No one, but NO ONE, started a song with an organ solo (the music instrument, dammit it)!

It took me a while to figure out the lyrics. It was at that point that Brooker/Reid became the supreme composer team to my mind.

Not quite no one, but rare.

From roughly the same time period as Whiter Shade of Pale:

Emerson Lake and Palmer: Karn Evil 9
Led Zeppelin: Your Time is Gonna Come
The Doors: Light My Fire (well, not really a solo, but it starts the song)
Iron Butterfly: In A Gadda Da Vida (again, not exactly a solo, but an organ is the only thing playing at the beginning)

1 Like

No buddy i wanted to make a mascot logo by my self maybe i am gonna make a mascote service

Right. We’re talking about a mascot logo. Sorry for hijacking.

You’re quite correct. Out of the four, only Light My Fire predates AWSOP by a few months. I doubt, though, anything comes as closely iconic as Mathew Fisher’s Bach-is touch.

Of course. Had a few of their albums lying around back in the day. Plus I work at a radio station, so there’s that.

1 Like

Bravo, Just-B … You are absolutely right about using designs that are copyrighted and proprietary. And you definitely nailed the point about this design being an act of plagiarism (theft of another’s creative work). And you are absolutely right about a corporation’s copyright lawyers suing Troep’s pants off if they get the chance. No act of plagiarism is too small for them to overlook. Corporations jealously guard their designs. I spent over 50 years as a designer and I can attest that some amateurs who ignore copyright laws and claim that their work is a “derivative” do so at their own risk, and their naivety will cost them dearly.

@troep

I honestly don’t think you realize that this is not how to go about doing business. This is why people are trying to help you. You could get in soooooo much trouble for passing off others work as your own.

I realize you think you didn’t copy this by re-drawing it, adding fangs and changing the colors. That is a misconception that many suffer from. You can NOT do this. It is still copyright infringement.

Here is your work and the Kong Stong logo and then an overlay of both. Troep, they are identical.

No matter what you added or colors you changed they are identical. You will be sued if you try to use it. If you are just doing this to learn and gain better skills that is one thing. But, if you ever attempt to sell another companies identity, you are in for a world of trouble.

We are not trying to call you out and make you feel bad. We are trying to educate you on what is acceptable and what is not in the industry. This type of thing is not only unacceptable it is illegal.

Try to learn from this for for your own protection.

You should be careful,I did a bitmap trace to vector in Inkscape and isolated the black and they are almost identical. Exception being the lower jaw and fangs.

1 Like

I wonder how did that happen but I’m pretty sure that its not a good idea to use that design. Even though you claim that the design is yours but base on my observation and the people here you will surely lose if opposite side take some legal actions.

I heard that some company like to do legal actions because they can get fees (extra income) from the losing side.

Thank you for the information guys, i am realy new to laws of design: but this is not a client its just a mascot logo for my portofolio

If you plan is to have a design business focused on mascots, strong illustrative skills will be a must. Let’s set aside the legal and ethical issues for a minute. Finding art for a gorilla or king kong is pretty easy. What if a client comes to you and says they’re looking for a mascot of a kangaroo riding a skateboard with an oil rig in its pouch. You’re not going to be able to find that anywhere, so it will be up to your own skills as an illustrator to draw that without source materials.

1 Like

You cannot put this in your portfolio.
To claim it as yours would be misrepresentation, another fraudulent thing you would be doing.

I’m sure you learned SOMETHING by manipulating the image in Illustrator, so just chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. No harm, no foul.

3 Likes

Yes this was more to learn draw mascots its not for sale or any thing

You still can’t put it in your portfolio.

I wouldn’t say adding teeth makes it inspired. A better use of your time would be to use a still photo of an animal and see if you can make it into a logo with only a few colors, minimal detail and a thick outline. This saves you from trying to imagine what the imaginary looks like and helps you practice blocking areas and picturing real subjects a bit more abstractly. I had a project similar to this in my first year of college, trace an already existing logo but it’s more for learning how the pen tool and anchors work. They should’ve incorporated pathfinder too though looking back.