Wicked Cold Wednesday!

Tonight is going to be negative 5 and windy. Tomorrow’s high is 9. What do you have to look forward to?

This is us at the moment. We are being buried again in another snow storm.

1 Like

Blank

Beautiful downtown Toronto.

1 Like

I have no idea how you all tolerate cold weather. While not warm, my forecast is thankfully pretty nice despite some rain.

1 Like

y’all are lucky!

39%20PM

1 Like

I lived in the desert for a short bit. I’m sure tomorrow I’ll be wondering why I moved.

1 Like

My forecast is pretty much the same as Kitty’s.
I don’t care if -5 happens overnight. Only if it lasts for more than 3 days. It really has to make it worth my while to break out the long johns. All that extra work getting dressed in the morning. Only one day of cold, they stay in the drawer (but the ski pants are in the car in case of emergency.)

1 Like

That’s insanely cold. Temperatures should not be in the negatives.

1 Like

Sorry I can’t complain down here in Florida

1 Like

It’s the water pipes that freeze and the homeless people dying under bridges that I worry about.

In the valley where I grew up, one winter it got down to a frigid -40° F. Cattle died, all the fruit trees were killed, the water line to our house froze solid, our well heads froze up and we had to melt snow for a few days for water.

My dad died on a sub-zero night when he got stranded checking on ranch-related things. He tried walking to the nearest house a couple of miles away but didn’t make it. He was in his 80s and shouldn’t have been out there, but…

Minus 5 F isn’t so bad unless it’s totally uncommon for the area, which I suspect it isn’t for Massachusetts. Minus 5 in Florida, however, would be a major disaster.

1 Like

Wow, I am really sorry to hear that.

1 Like

Man, that is crazy @Just-B. Sorry to hear that about your dad. I honestly cant imagine anything that cold. The coldest I’ve experienced is only around 18 or 19 degrees.

1 Like

B, I’m so sorry. :frowning:

Even though we don’t appear to be getting the -60 they are predicting for places like MN, we are dropping low at night and have lots of homeless folks around. We do have Code Blue locations and the homeless populations does take advantage of it.

They only started a few years ago after a homeless women froze to death. People seemed shocked. I was more shocked it hadn’t happened sooner. No one who had the power to do anything seemed to really care around here. Finally a couple who aren’t all that well off but could buy an old building did so and opened it with blankets on the floor for folks. It’s blossomed now that more people have gotten in board and helped. It’s really become a great shelter and respite site for people on the street. It seems to be working very well.

They tried to get a another bigger building. But, surrounding neighbors got an injunction to stop it. “Not in my back yard” Nimby’s as we call them. There is a special place in hell for those types of people. These are the same people who on Social Media send lots of “thoughts and prayers” and say “OMG something needs to be done to help these poor people” and secretly have their lawyers on speed dial. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I sort of threw the thing in about my dad a little too casually, but it was a big deal and still is. It was ten years ago — just before Christmas. My older brother found him the next morning partially covered with snow. I probably shouldn’t have mentioned it.

1 Like

I just can’t imagine having to have gone through that. :frowning: Death is never easy to deal with, but when it’s under such heartbreaking circumstances … it’s very hard to come to terms with. I feel so bad for you and your family.

1 Like

Just in case you ever really really wanted to know all about how cold cold really cold weather related phrases are popularized…

‘Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey’

1 Like

:cold_face::cold_face:Current conditions :cold_face::cold_face:

50985257_10215338999443213_1828390448608051200_n

-12°F outside my house this morning. Not much in the way of wind though, I say thankfully.

1 Like

Yes, otherwise you might need a jacket

1 Like

A bit of snow here and there in the UK but temperatures around freezing, although it did get down to -12C in parts of Scotland last night.

10 years ago the weather in the USA would have been an item on the news for me, but with forums like this and the online MMO I play I have people I know affected by this extreme cold weather. I can only hope you all stay safe and warm.

1 Like