Working File from Image

Hi guys,

I have a question. A client wants me to do some edits to one of his printed pieces, however he doesn’t have the original working file, just a photo screen shot. Whats the best way to go about this? Is it a bad idea to try to image trace the entire document, or should I just start from scratch and try to match all the text, shapes, etc. It is kind of basic so it wouldn’t take too long, but if there’s a faster way please let me know.

Thanks!

Yes, it’s a bad idea unless neither you nor your client are concerned about quality.

Given that you say it’s basic and wouldn’t take too long, yes, rebuild it.

Of course, I haven’t seen what you’re referring to, so my answers are based only on what you wrote.

1 Like

I fully agree with @Just-B. Building it yourself will be a lot faster most of the times and when done with vectorgraphics makes it a lot easer to change things afterwards. I would always do that

Thanks, yeah I ended up just rebuilding it. I’m sure the client will want further changes, and this makes it easier for the future.

2 Likes

Good choice. It’s always best to be honest with your client, as they likely don’t understand as to why a screen shot isn’t a workable document. Let them know you had to recreate it for higher resolution and for it to be editable, so they won’t question your billing.

Yes, this is what I would have done too.

Mostly the case. Good choice!