Yellow on front but green on back

Hi-- hoping to get a second (or more) opinion about what may have happened here… sent some simple 3x3 cards to print 4/4 with same logo file used… exported from indesign to pdf converted all colors to process. When I got said cards, front looks great, but back the logo is green…?

Has overprint been applied to the green one?

1 Like

Yep, that’s my guess too.

1 Like

Ditto. Or Triple Ditto I suppose.

1 Like

How would overprint be applied? Is that something that happens when exporting?

Overprint can applied to the very graphic itself either in its native program or during placement in inDesign. It can also occur during the RIP process, if Overprint is checked in your EFI or Creo settings. But, a RIP application should apply it to both graphics. Same as is ‘use substitute colors was checked’

Double check your placement and image settings in InD.

Or the blue or yellow element somehow got set to “multiply”

Multiply would show up right away in Indy though right?

I think that’s right-- multiply would show up right away… apparently it was overprint, but something that happened on the printers end that’s why it only showed up on the back side.

A multiply error could have been the printer’s fault too. But very very hard to do by mistake.

What does your proof look like? Is it properly yellow?
I ask because you are showing a photo of “finished product” and wondering if you get a reprint on them.

Hi-- Yes proof was yellow. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary with the proof (though it was a digital proof as this printer is not local to me). I did look back on the proof too and funny this time it was sent as a jpg (usually they send a pdf, which maybe then it would have been caught…?) Anyhow they did offer to reprint and I gained some more knowledge about overprinting.

Always get a hard-copy proof!! Distance of press to office should not trump the need for a physical proof. This scenario is a glaring example of why.

My 2¢.

Yes I typically agree pantoshi, but these folks only offer soft proofs. I’ve been using them for 6+ years for many print jobs and never had an issue before.

Ah, I see. Well, I guess if your deadlines allow for “do-overs”, I can see why you would not consider it as essential as me.

I sometimes find it pretty amazing how often clients have the time to make me do something over when they didn’t have time for me to get the job done to begin with.
:upside_down_face:

1 Like

I find it really depends on the client, and the end use. If it’s for a timed event, like say CES, and it’s for a client like say, Google, then I’m getting a hard proof, even if they have to carrier pigeon it to me. :airplane::helicopter::sailboat::motor_scooter::taxi::steam_locomotive::truck::bike::rocket::flying_saucer::bird: :wink:

99% of the stuff I do is for a timed event.
If I’m doing something like that, and I’m using a vendor, I prefer to use one of my local guys where I can get my little self in my little :blue_car: and go to them to view either a hard proof or an on-press check as soon as it is ready. On-press is very rare, and a lot of standing around if there are several checks queued up. But I love watching that 16-footer print. Mesmerizing.:open_mouth:

Were you doing stuff at CES too?
Or did you just want to use all those travel emojis?
You forgot a few:
:footprints::sled::snail::camel::goat::racehorse::unicorn:

Yep, every year it gets more… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yeah, but it’s a good :crazy_face:

(oh wait, that’s not the face you used…:laughing:)

Back on topic,
a screenshot won’t show an overprint error.
Check your file again, Look at the back of the card and go to View > Overprint Preview and see what happens.