Good morning from East Tennessee!

I am a toolmaker/woodworker/laser engraver/maker living near Knoxville. Much of my work involves designing visual images for customers. Whether it is laser engraving or a striking graphic wrap for a set of cornhole boards, most people have an idea of what they want and just need help bringing it to life. It occurred to me that I really need to connect with a community of designers to be able to ask questions and get feedback.

I’m currently working on a branded line of my own and would love some help with fonts and such. I want something that is popular and trending. Problem is, I have no idea where to look for that kind of knowledge. Doing a web search for “trending fonts in 2024” results in every font repository waving their collections and screaming “Look here!! This is it!!”. I get the feeling I’m not finding objective results. HaHaHa!!

Which forum category would be best to ask such a question? Honestly, I feel a bit clumsy in this environment. I don’t want to step on any toes.

Thanks so much for your time and attention!

James

Hi TinkerJim!
Welcome to the forum!
What kind of laser do you have? I might ask you for a few pointers on that, LOL! I inherited a Boss 3665 here and after a bunch of burnt up tests figured out it probably doesn’t have the driver to 3D engrave :frowning:

Anyway, to your question on font help, you have fallen into a trap. No one here is going to suggest you follow any trendiness you might find out there. And as you’ve found, everyone thinks they’re part of the current trend.
Trends. End.

What you want to do is to determine what your business description is. Who is your company (not you yourself, but the company,) who is your target market (not what you like, but what will attract clients) what fonts and iconography best suit this company image? You want something simple, lasting and memorable. Not the latest fashion. Not something too intricately detailed. Not Photoshop but vector (I have a feeling you know all about this, :wink: )

If you want to post some of your ideas and/or sketches in the Crit Pit, there are more than a few seasoned designers hanging out here that will give you some pointers. But as it says, ‘wear your heavy sweater’ because some people take a few minutes to look and may not have the time in their busy day to be anything but blunt. Take the good. Ignore the bad.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the guidance!

I’ll start a thread over there and post the logo as it stands.

As for my laser, I have a 55w CO2 laser from OMTech. It’s a Chinese machine. I use Lightburn to drive it and also do a bit of the design work.

Don’t give up on it. I’d be happy to help you in any way I can.

I’m using lightburn too. I’ve checked out the forums over there and one of the lightburn techs (Oz maybe?) mentioned that some Boss lasers just don’t have the driver. It’s on my list to check today. It does Jarvis halftoning reeeeeealllly well though. :slight_smile: But I just can’t get it to vary the power for depth. There’s a hint of it there, through the char, but there is no “zero” power. Actually, 5% is the turn-on power and doesn’t burn anything when using the halftoning. But on Grayscale, it seems to go from 30% to 80% and a few times has burnt right through the board, even though its set at 5% to 30% power. It’s a 150w CO2.

1 Like

Welcome Aboard @TinkerJim :wave: :grin:

I would love to see some of your creations :slight_smile:

PrintDriver said exactly what I was going to say. “Avoid Trends!”
Nothing beats a good old font that is sturdy and easily readable. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good morning! Well, I know this is going to be a bit disappointing, but I have not done any work with shading as of yet. The largest demand I have had is for laser engraving tumblers and such. Some laser engraving and cutting as in making boxes and signs. There are a few different calibration tools out there. Like a grid of 5 mm squares cut at different speeds and power levels to help you find the right settings for one shade or another. Have you tried any of those? They have them for shading as well as for cutting. In regards to the erratic jump in power percentage, that may be an internal glitch in the software that actually drives your machine. Even though you are doing your designing and programming in light burn, your machine runs on a type of language, as well. For example, my om Tech laser runs on ruida. I can’t think of the other languages right off. Anyway, using one of the grids I described might help to pinpoint the exact range that is giving you trouble. I will dig around and see if I can find a couple and send them along. I hope this was helpful in some way. Sorry I can’t solve your problem.

Good morning and thank you so much! I was at work yesterday and not able to get to my computer for sharing any images. I will be starting a post in crit pit this morning. I have a close friend who spent years in marketing and product development and placement. He has given me a few ideas for products and product lines that would likely be a hit in our area. There is a company that has done very well with a local branding line. The area code for our part of the world is 865. This company has taken that number and added the word “Life” to the end and built a very successful business off of stickers, t-shirts, hats, Etc Etc. Check their website (**.com) for examples. It is this general idea of taking a slogan and creating a brand around it that has inspired a few of these ideas. My buddy and I sat around the other day and came up with a few different things. The one I’m working on right now is centered around the name of our County, Roane County Tennessee. More about that in the Crit Pit post. Thanks again for the welcome! I’m happy to be here.

1 Like

Awesome! I’ll check it out and look forward to your post :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, it turns out this one is an HP 3665 and has an AWC controller.
Been doing a little digging and it seems that is the glitch. Checking to see if Lightburn has added the USB support, which is how we are running the machine, not via ethernet. It’s always a puzzle sometimes, getting stuff to work, but otherwise, it would be just plain boring!

I’ve used the Lightburn grids to determine power/speed but even with those there is just something with the grayscale setting that throws it all out of whack.

No worries on not doing this stuff yet. This thing came with a tumbler attachment. Not looking forward to doing everyone’s coffee cups, LOL

Will look for your post in the crit pit.

1 Like

As far as font sources, you can find some decent free fonts at FontSquirrel.com.

1 Like